TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be gettin some soon. What has everyone who did not install them themselves do or needed to do to get the install right?
What I am trying to say is should I let the dealer try it or should I take them to my local exhaust shop I have been using for years? Saw something in the Performance Products catalog about the auto tranny tacomas have a transfer case cooler and it needs to be moved in order for headers to go in. Is this true? Also should the supplied gaskets be used or regular toyota gaskets for the seals? Hoping somebody will help me out and maybe even Chris at TRDParts4U will even give me a quote if he sees this.

Sam

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I bought a set off Ebay thinking I could install myself, not realizing I needed a welder. In the end, I had a dealer install them and now a year later and 30K miles have had zero problems. Expensive but worth the extra $$$ IMO.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
samsc03 said:
Gonna be gettin some soon. What has everyone who did not install them themselves do or needed to do to get the install right?
What I am trying to say is should I let the dealer try it or should I take them to my local exhaust shop I have been using for years?
First off all,… no matter what they tell you about the time it will take them to do it, expect to be without your truck for a couple of days. These are a PIA to install. If you go with the dealer they “should” be covered under the remaining warrantee of the truck. And since these are notorious to leaks if not properly torqued and retorqued after a few hundred miles, I would make sure whom ever installs them will retorque them for you and guarantee no leaks at the connections.

samsc03 said:
Saw something in the Performance Products catalog about the auto tranny tacomas have a transfer case cooler and it needs to be moved in order for headers to go in. Is this true?
If your talking about the tranny cooler lines, yes they might have to be removed for the install, but they can be put back on afterwards. I’m not sure if the headers can be installed without doing this because I had to drop my tranny to get my headers in,… long story.

samsc03 said:
Also should the supplied gaskets be used or regular toyota gaskets for the seals?
I would suggest a new gasket. I don’t think TRD includes them with the headers( TRD is out to make a buck and doesn’t really supply anything they don’t really have to). I don’t remember if mine came with one, but I ended up using my stock gasket since my truck only had 2K miles on it when I installed them.

samsc03 said:
Hoping somebody will help me out and maybe even Chris at TRDParts4U will even give me a quote if he sees this.
Call them. That is where I got mine. Barb was really helpful and they were the least expensive suppliers. Well that is relative considering the arm and a leg TRD charges.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks fellas. That info helps alot. Now to see if either one of my local dealers has done a set before. The one who has done it before or the one who has done the most will be where my truck goes. When i bought my truck I got the trd stuff all from the start installed there but when it came to doing the TRD catback they said it was gonna go down the street to the big al's or somethin,so i got it installed where i know the people so I am curious as to whether or not they can weld in their service department. So i should get a new toyota exhaust manifold gaskets or trd exhaust manifold gaskets? I am hoping that these will fix that chronic ticking my truck has had for a while now,cannot be found,seen,but only heard.

Sam

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
bb609 said:
I bought a set off Ebay thinking I could install myself, not realizing I needed a welder. In the end, I had a dealer install them and now a year later and 30K miles have had zero problems. Expensive but worth the extra $$$ IMO.
Yeah I noticed some welding was needed, but still decided to do it myself. I just cut the pipe and put everything together as if it were welded and drove it to my local muffler shop. The shop ended up charging me 20 bucks for the weld. That and I replaced my tranny fluid with synthetic so that was the extent of my install charge. Had I known then how much of a PIA it was to install them myself I would have done what you did and taken it to the dealer. So I agree with you on it being worth the extra money.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think for the experience and knowledge I am going to go to the local exhaust shop with them. I know the owner and a few of the guys that will probably be doing the work and i know it will be all done there with no outsourcing if I have all the necessary installation components. Is it a must to drop the tranny? My dealer is alright and I will talk to my service writer before I do anything.

Sam

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
samsc03 said:
Is it a must to drop the tranny?
No, to remove the stock crossover pipe I had to remove the tranny. It can be cut off. The TRD instructions said it can be "wiggled" out,... I don't know what they consider wiggle, but I was trying everything possible and it wouldn't come out in one piece. I wanted to have it out in one piece and since I had the tranny partly unbolted and was planning to go synthetic I decided to just drop it. Taking it to someone you trust is much better than the dealer in my opinion. I hate taking my truck to the stealers. Just be sure you advise them it is a PIA and you want to make sure there will be no leaks. That way you can take it back if they do leak after a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got that right. I can not even explain the aggravation of having a fairly new truck (24k) and it sound like #%[email protected]# for the last 10k and no one able to find exactly where it is and then tell me it is normal(dealers response to me,technician had a buddy of mine,the head of maintaince for the dealership who i know well and was lookin over their shoulder for me.He said that is what it is but can not see where.) Gadgets knowledge on this could be very useful. So what type gaskets? And which ones?

Sam

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much. I guess when i buy them from TRDParts4U i can get the OEM gaskets that will be needed also. Is it just the gaskets for the connection to the block or is there more than one pair of gaskets for the install?

Sam

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotcha.Thanks a bunch.Hopefully when I check this post in the morning there will not be any surprises and I will be able to place the order.

Sam

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The moving the cooler thing does not apply to the Tacos or 3rd Gen 4Runners. That was the older trucks with an Auto and 4x4.

The TRD headers come with everything you need. I don't know about your year truck, but they might just bolt up to the cats. Some trucks like the earlier 4Runners the cat was built into the down pipe. The pipe had to be cut off of the cat and a flange welded onto it.

I have heard of one person being able to wiggle out the cross over pipe. The rest of us had to cut the ends off to get it out.

Just keep this in mind if you attempt the install yourself. Once you start you will have to see it through. This job is not for the inexperienced. It is a MAJOR upgrade and should be left to professional exhaust folks that are used to working on things like this and have all the tools to weld, cut, chisel and chop the old system off.

Gadget

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Gadget. Really hoping this is gonna solve my problem we talked about on the phone the other day about. I was almost ready to get the headers anyway before the suspected leak got worse. So I am glad to hear that all i need is the actual headers itself since it is all included in the box when you buy them like you say. I am not real excited about letting the dealers around here attempt it cuz of the fact that they did not even want to put my catback on,but still I would hate to get into some situation about someone other than a dealer putting them in. I am gonna get them first and then see what they tell me. Appreciate the post.

Sam

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's wierd that they wouldn't even do the trd cat back for you 'cause it doesn't need any welding and the installation is easy, unless your truck is old or something???

zeek

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know really. It was brand new.

Sam

·
Registered
21 Posts
that's wierd but no 2 stealerships are alike. I've found a few with nice semi-honest people and some that had guys that had no idea what they are talking about....I new more about the S/C then the guys who sold it to me and I'm just a truck mod novice.....but at least the guy who installed it has done it before several times :rolleyes:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey when they installed mine they first told me it was gonna be their first but the tech who did it told me afterwards that he had done a few of them before. Left me with a puzzled look on my face. So they told me that so I could get charged as much labor as possible I believe. Still ot sure where I am gonna take it.

Sam

·
Registered
731 Posts
samsc03 said:
Hey when they installed mine they first told me it was gonna be their first but the tech who did it told me afterwards that he had done a few of them before. Left me with a puzzled look on my face. So they told me that so I could get charged as much labor as possible I believe. Still ot sure where I am gonna take it.

Sam
When you say 'FTc from URD" in your signature are you meaning the additional injector controller (AIC)?

Dave

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I mean the FTC that comes with the URD kit. I bought it separate when I had just the 7th injector and nothin was yet available. Made it run a little better for a minute then somethin screwed up on the walbro upgrade and I had to pull it out and the truck stayed at the dealer for a week till they fixed it for me(somethin stupid like a o-ring on vacuum line was cracked or something). I am waiting on quotes for the AIC and PLX wideband from [email protected] so I can get it right.

Sam

1 - 20 of 65 Posts