TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is an out there one. I have had trd headers on my tacoma since i got it in 04. Never failed smog until a new smog tech smogged me, andways I was failed in CA smog for a visual on the headers. The headers stamp is 00602-17141-003. They are made by TRD. They are clearly v6 headers that fit the 3.4 block. That particular part number (00602-17141-003) correlates with an 88-89 supercharged mr2 (mr2 is 4 cyl, it is impossible that they would fit on my block...). With that being said i've called TRD, toyota corporate, and spoken to my local dealership. TRD and Toyota say that its impossible that those headers are on my car, they are for an mr2 and will give me no more info. My local dealership had the tech, manager, as well as parts guy look at the headers on the vehicle. All 3 came to the consensus that these headers were incorrectly stamped. Now i can't pass smog with these headers in CA and no one will offer me any help from toyota.

I have decided to get new headers and install them on my own. Pain in the ass, but i enjoy working on cars so it wont be that bad.

With that being said can i do something to recoop my cost of headers and time in replacing them. Any legal advise or do i just bend over for this one. I am convinced that these are miss marked headers. Anyone ever experience this of have info on this particular set of headers. I've seen them else where online in other forums, so mine aren't the only ones out there.

PS photos are of headers with same stamp, however not mine. Mine are on the truck and hard to see stamps, but these are exactly the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
So how the fawk this smog tech know these headers don’t belong on your Tacoma? Unless techs are really OCD shits.😞

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
So how the fawk this smog tech know these headers don’t belong on your Tacoma? Unless techs are really OCD shits.😞
CARB compliance requires EO numbers to match with specific manufacturer part numbers. Smog techs are required to cross check aftermarket part and EO numbers for compliance. If the details dont match, they have to issue a fail and the vehicle owner must correct the problem or visit a state smog referee to request review. Only a state smog referee can approve any type of exception.

·
Registered
311 Posts
CARB compliance requires EO numbers to match with specific manufacturer part numbers. Smog techs are required to cross check aftermarket part and EO numbers for compliance. If the details dont match, they have to issue a fail and the vehicle owner must correct the problem or visit a state smog referee to request review. Only a state smog referee can approve any type of exception.
Ok.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an obviously new tech. He decided to cross reference the numbers on my sticker with the numbers on my headers. He then proceeded to do the same with every after market part on the vehicle. He mentioned that having a boost gauge for the supercharger was not ca smog legal, having a smaller pulley on the supercharger is not legal (may be true...), the vacuum hose routing was not legal (its not the same as the stock plenum as i have a supercharger)... He was just a new guy which indecently screwed me over.

I'm mostly just pissed that no one in toyota will help me out with this. I can't get it through my head that the consumer, me has to pay for an obvious toyota fuck up. Dealership wont take ownership, toyota wont, trd wont. They just say my headers are for an mr2.

Just ordered doug thorley headers and a new front cat to weld up on my own. The suggestions I've gotten from people are to get a quote from a shop for them to put on headers and weld up cat, proceed to do all this on my own, remove trd headers and take toyota to small claims with quote and hope to recoup some money for this. They wont show up, i get my labor and cost of new headers covered. Whether this works or not who knows, but fuck toyota for not dealing with this issue.

·
Registered
311 Posts
This news probaly not so new. President Trump trying to remove Kalifornia’s and other states authority to set their own “smog shit” rules. But all the states involved will sue to stop chit from happening.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts