TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a given that the y pipe on the 1st design headers are gonna leak ? Has anyone been running the 1st design without any leaks ?????

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 99 with (I think) 1st gen TRD headers. They leaked badly, there was a noticeable exhaust leak whine coming from under the hood and near the rear of the headers.

I took it to Meineke and they welded it right up. No probs since.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not sure when they changed the design, but I think mine are the earlier Y-pipe and I have had no leaks in 80k miles. I did spend the $$$ to have them dealer installed though.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Yes. When they were first installed they never leaked.

Then the dealership screwed around doing some engine work and they leaked when I got the truck back.

I just kept taking it back to them for rework until it finally dawned on them that I wasn't going to give up or let up on them until they finally said uncle then buckled down and did the job correctly. No I didn't pay them anymore either. They were paid to do the job right the first time. If nothing else, I am a presistant SOB and it usually pays off.

It hasn't leaked since. All it takes is time, patience and someone paying attention to detail and having a little pride in their workmanship.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yes. When they were first installed they never leaked.

Then the dealership screwed around doing some engine work and they leaked when I got the truck back.

I just kept taking it back to them for rework until it finally dawned on them that I wasn't going to give up or let up on them until they finally said uncle then buckled down and did the job correctly. No I didn't pay them anymore either. They were paid to do the job right the first time. If nothing else, I am a presistant SOB and it usually pays off.

It hasn't leaked since. All it takes is time, patience and someone paying attention to detail and having a little pride in their workmanship.
Thats the only way to get shit done at dealerships...

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Yeah, I think many count on most folks just giving in and accepting whatever crock of shit they get handed. I never have and don't plan on ever starting. It's not isolated to car dealerships either, it's fairly universal these days.

Some rare exceptions like Summit Racing for example, still treat people the way they should be treated. I always find it a pleasure to order stuff from those kinds of folks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts