TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this forum and it looks to have a great wealth of information. SO I am glad I found it. I have a 97 Tacoma with Extended cab with the 3.4l V6 and I am looking either to put the TRD Limted slip in or Can I get a Toyota e-locker and install it.

Which is better?

By the way this is my daily driving vehicle. So if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
HeloDude said:
Hi I am new to this forum and it looks to have a great wealth of information. SO I am glad I found it. I have a 97 Tacoma with Extended cab with the 3.4l V6 and I am looking either to put the TRD Limted slip in or Can I get a Toyota e-locker and install it.

Which is better?

By the way this is my daily driving vehicle. So if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
To get the E locker you would have to get a whole new rear end since non-trd and trd rear ends are not the same size.
The only option you have for a selectable locker to fit your truck now is the ARB air locker.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
i would suggest getting a selectable locker. you cant control the lsd, it comes on when it wants to. with the locker you can push a button or flip a switch and you know its engaged

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
As stated above the E-locker would mean replacing the rear axle, $750 and up for used. Selectable lockers are nice, but if price is an issue the LSD is a nice low cost alternative. www.trdparts4u.com had the Toyota LSD for $199, they might have some left.

Tim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, what is better a locker or a limited slip. I do not do any heavy offroading just a little and this is the truck I drive back forth to work everyday.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
HeloDude said:
So, what is better a locker or a limited slip. I do not do any heavy offroading just a little and this is the truck I drive back forth to work everyday.
For you, sounds like a LSD would be the best investment.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
HeloDude said:
Well only you could decide what is better for you, but with an e-locker or ARB locker(compressor needed for the ARB set up) you can select when you want the rear wheels locked and when you don't. When they are not locked the rear diff acts like it does now as an open diff. With a LSD you get better traction on the road, but off road if one wheel losses traction it acts as an open diff, which defeats the purpose of locking diffs. This can be helped a bit by pressing on the breaks to transfer the torque to the tire with the traction. But there is only so much you can do in this situation.
The general consensus is that a selectable locker is better all around since you can control when you want them locked and when you don't.
One other thing I would like to add is in rain or snow you have to re-learn how to drive with the LSD since it has a tendency to fishtail a lot easier. So you have to be really easy on the peddle, yet another reason why people like selectable lockers.

The only time I’d say an LSD is a better option is when money is a concern and you don’t mind learning how to work around the tendencies of the LSD.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
HeloDude said:
Between an LSD and a Locker, a Locker is best, selectable Locker is better. Does'nt mean an LSD is'nt good. For your use of your truck, taking account for cost, the LSD would serve you best.
Personally if I couldnt afford a selectable Locker I'd have an LSD.
I've had Full time Lockers on other trucks and Jeeps, to me they're to squirrily for street use in winter conditions.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts