TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im not really sure if i have a problem with it yet..but i have a 2003 TRD and i did the grey wire mod a week ago and today i was in our driveway which is somewhat steep but not like horribly steep but i was in the grass and when i tried to go i was spinning...so i put the locker in and gave it a little gas but it didnt seem like it even changed at all..and i have radial ext tires brand new only a 100 miles on them so i dont know if i just was expecting more out of a locker from what i have read about them..but from what i have seen it dosent seem to do anything for me...i also tested it in some snow which also didnt seem like it did anything..so is there a way for me to know for sure if it is working or not???

·
Registered
116 Posts
are you sure it was engaged? was the lit flashing or lit? if it is flashing, it is not locked. you also have to drive a few feet for it to work.

johnny

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chopaholic said:
are you sure it was engaged? was the lit flashing or lit? if it is flashing, it is not locked. you also have to drive a few feet for it to work.

johnny
no both times the light was lit...so i should have backed up a few feet first then went forward?

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
yeah sometimes it takes a little while for those things to click in

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
If you didn't hear a click, there is a good chance it didn't engage. When I turn my locker on, I ususally try and listen for the click.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bet you're locked. This is happening in 2wd, correct?

On ice or packed snow and a slight hill, locking the rear in 2wd never does much for me, but my truck definitely locks. My experience has been the locker is at best over-rated in a situation like that unless it's teamed with 4wd.

If you turn slowly on any loose surface you should feel the tires scuffing and that'll let you know whether you are locked. When you disengage the locker, do you ever feel a light clunk as it unlocks?

Again, it's likely it is operating normally. It just doesn't work miracles in the situation you describe.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Pete said:
I bet your locked. This is happening in 2wd, corect?

On ice or packed snow and a slight hill, locking the rear in 2wd never does much for me, but my truck definitely locks. My experience has been the locker is at best over-rated in a situation like that unless it's teamed with 4wd.

If you turn slowly on any loose surface you should feel the tires scuffing and that'll let you know whether you are locked. When you disengage the locker, do you ever feel a light clunk as it unlocks?

Again, it's likely it is operating normally. It just doesn't work miracles in the situation you describe.
I agree. I have a No-Slip in the rear of my '02 regular-cab, and on Saturday, I started out on a very mild, only slightly uphill trail in 2WD in snow/ice. I hadn't made it 50 feet before the back tires spun and I came to a stop. I engaged 4WD, but could still not get forward momentum again. I had to back out about 30 feet, and then I could get going forward again.

Snow and ice are the great equalizers...

·
Registered
32 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
well im not really sure if i have a problem with it yet..but i have a 2003 TRD and i did the grey wire mod a week ago and today i was in our driveway which is somewhat steep but not like horribly steep but i was in the grass and when i tried to go i was spinning...so i put the locker in and gave it a little gas but it didnt seem like it even changed at all..and i have radial ext tires brand new only a 100 miles on them so i dont know if i just was expecting more out of a locker from what i have read about them..but from what i have seen it dosent seem to do anything for me...i also tested it in some snow which also didnt seem like it did anything..so is there a way for me to know for sure if it is working or not???
I got a Question for you. Does it say in your manual not to go over 5mph locked and a sticker on your drivers door says the same thing? Is that just there because the handling will be diffrent or is it a mechanical thing that could hurt your diffs?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Wes1977 said:
I got a Question for you. Does it say in your manual not to go over 5mph locked and a sticker on your drivers door says the same thing? Is that just there because the handling will be diffrent or is it a mechanical thing that could hurt your diffs?
legal bs to keep people from suing toyota if they screw up and try to lock it in after reaching 40 or 50 mph or spinning the hell out of the tires and try to lock it in without waiting for you tires to quit spinning. So yes it can hurt your diffs if not locked properly. Lock it in when going slow and you can leave it on and go fast if you want. Handling is a little different as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts