TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been having trouble with my locker...first it off its not locking in when the button is pressed, but once it does lock in it won't unlock....has any one had this happen to them? and did you solve it? my locker is starting to really piss me off!!!

· Registered
313 Posts
What year truck? When you say its not engaging when you press the button,is the light blinking..or solid? It is very common for alot of TRD locker equiped tacos to have to roll forward,or ever so slightly have to turn while going forward to get it to engage. As far as you saying it won't disengage,do you mean it stuck in locked postion,or just takes longer than you like?

· Registered
313 Posts
pimptoy said:
it's a 99 but they are all the same axle
Yea,I just did'nt know if you may have had an 05' and was having problems already. I have read about some people taking the locker motor out and inspecting/cleaning it,then putting it back together and it working correctly afterwards.

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i took it apart and cleaned what i could but still nothing

· Banned
2,379 Posts
I see you have grey wire mod listed, are you sure that your wires are all still correctly connected?

As for removing the motor, did you clean the screw part of the motor? that gets a corrison build up on it. The other part to clean is in the coper on the motor.. I did this to mine and it works better than it did from day one.

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
atwinda said:
I see you have grey wire mod listed, are you sure that your wires are all still correctly connected?

As for removing the motor, did you clean the screw part of the motor? that gets a corrison build up on it. The other part to clean is in the coper on the motor.. I did this to mine and it works better than it did from day one.

I did check the wires behind my kick panel and they all looked good

screw part? are talking about the gear the moves the internals? or which one are you talking about

the only thing i did was remove the motor from the axle and separated the plug from the motor and clean it up then plugged it back it and hit the switch to see if it would word and had no luck then this weekend in Moab it finally locked up and now I can't get the thing to unlock

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
atwinda said:

now what did you clean to get it to work?

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pimptoy said:
i've been having trouble with my locker...first it off its not locking in when the button is pressed, but once it does lock in it won't unlock....has any one had this happen to them? and did you solve it? my locker is starting to really piss me off!!!

and now i can't get it to lock period......

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep pulled it, cleaned the elec. connections at the actuator and at the frame and still nothing

· Premium Member
16,759 Posts
Did you use the procedure in the book to reinstall the actuator? If not that is probably the problem. Go find that link the the SM and look up the install procedure. Basically you connect the actuator removed from the axle, put the rack gear in the axle in the locked postion, then disconnect the actuator and drive the pinion gear to a specific position before reinstalling the actuator. After you have that taken care of. Rip that troublesome factory contol box crip crap out of there and replace the control with a simple switch. I have a schematic worked up if you decide to go that route.

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dick Foster said:
Did you use the procedure in the book to reinstall the actuator? If not that is probably the problem. Go find that link the the SM and look up the install procedure. Basically you connect the actuator removed from the axle, put the rack gear in the axle in the locked postion, then disconnect the actuator and drive the pinion gear to a specific position before reinstalling the actuator. After you have that taken care of. Rip that troublesome factory contol box crip crap out of there and replace the control with a simple switch. I have a schematic worked up if you decide to go that route.
that sound like a plan i'd like to see that wirte up.....i couldn't find anything in my hans manual about the locker so i'm trying to figure it out. but anything you provide my would be great....thanks dick......see you in moab

· Premium Member
16,759 Posts
Those Haynes manuals are worthless and the on-line SM data does not show the locker stuff.
OK here is what you do.
Put the truck in low range 4WD and shut it down.
Now chock your tires and jack up the driver side rear wheel so that the tire can spin free.
Remove the lock acutator.
Look inside the hole in the axle where the actuator mounts and you will see a rack gear up at the top of the hole. Use a screwdriver or something and push the rack gear inside toward the diff.
This is the locked position. Now you should not be able to turn the the tire that's off the ground by hand because the diff is locked.
OK now connect the actuator to the electrical connector. Turn the ign key to the run postion and make sure that the transfer case in low range 4WD. Now push the diff lock button and the actuator pinon gear should turn to the locked position and stop.
Turn off the ign key.
Now disconnect the actuator.
Hold the actuator up as if it were installed in the axle and look at the pinion gear.
In the face of the pinion drive gear you will see two slots.
With the actuator vertical as if installed the slots will line up off of the vertical just a tad.
Tape a couple of flashlight battery cells together so you have a source of 3V.
There are two leads in the actuator connector that actually drive the motor. Pins 3 & 5. The wire colors are green/red and green.
Using some wire, connect the battey to the two motor drive pins, just touch one pin so as to rotate the pinion gear the shortest path to where the two slots line up to vertical. If you over drive it, just reverse polarity and drive it back until you get the slots to line up vertical.
When you have the slots lines up vertical, try to reinstall the actuator without moving the rack gear. You may have to fiddle with the pinon gear position just a bit, somethimes it's a little off vertical but not much. Don't force the actuator on or you'll mess up the rack gear.
When you get it back together, turn on the ignition and try to lock and unlock a few times. You'll need to spin the free tire by hand to get it to engage. Just give it a spin and hit and reach inside and hit the lock button and it should lock up for you.
Here is a link to the writeup I did for getting the damn control box outta there. It splains how the actuator works and it's got a schematic that will show the pin numbers and color codes for the actuator connections.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~dick/Writeup%20Stuff/toyota_elock_control.pdf

· Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

New member here. I ran across this thread by searching for a possible solution to my locker problem. I have a '02 Tacoma TRD 4x4 with ABS where the differential lock has stopped working. The indicator light just flashes and the thing never engages. The truck has about 45K miles on it. I don't use the locker very often but wanted to last winter when I found this out to my disappointment. I had thought there might be some corrosion on some of the contacts but in checking, I find that the plugs appear well designed to keep moisture out and the contacts seem to be clean. I did the "grey wire mod" a couple of years ago but the locker will not engage even when in 4L. I haven't removed the actuator yet.

Dick, I really like your writeup on the independent locker control and am thinking of doing that myself. One question I have is how to deal with ABS which is not mentioned. I have the official Toyota wiring diagrams but can't seem to be able to determine exactly how the ABS is disabled when the locker is engaged. Do you have any idea or suggestion how to incorporate an ABS disable/enable function into your locker control diagram. I could disable it more or less permanently but really don't want to. I would rather be able to automatically disable/enable the ABS coincidentally with the engaging/disengaging of the locker.

Thanks for any comment.

Rod

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.