TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, been reading through the forums extensivly, just want to make sure I understand every thing.

4x4... simply means the abilty to put power to all 4 wheels?
Trd...is a locking Rear Dif "from what I have read, this is a very good thing"
LSD... Locks the rear dif, but not completly

In some of the threads about reg cabs it was comented that they donot have the Trd option, If the reg cab is with out a locking rear dif, what good is it, what can that 4x4 reg cab do with the TRD option.
This does not make scense to me, why not just have a Locking rear diff?

Could some one please explain the differences???

Btw, Doing the SAS will give you a locking Front Diff

Given the amount of biking I do, I know that having power to the Front wheel would be great. Correct me if I am wrong, doesnt the power already go to the front?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Unless you have a reg cab like my 97' V-6. It was before the "TRD" package was introduced, but it was ordered new with a locking rear diff..The same as used in 98' TRD package ext cabs..

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
John Doe said:
(1) 4x4... simply means the abilty to put power to all 4 wheels?
(2) Trd...is a locking Rear Dif "from what I have read, this is a very good thing"
(3) LSD... Locks the rear dif, but not completly
(4) If the reg cab is with out a locking rear dif, what good is it,
(5) what can that 4x4 reg cab do with the TRD option.
(6) This does not make scense to me, why not just have a Locking rear diff?
(7)Could some one please explain the differences???
(8) Btw, Doing the SAS will give you a locking Front Diff
(9) Correct me if I am wrong, doesnt the power already go to the front?

1. Right...sorta. It has the ability to put power to all 4, but may not be doing so if one wheel does not have traction (for example, if one wheel is one ice, or in the air, etc.)

2. TRD is not a locking rear diff. TRD is an options package that includes an electronically lockable rear diff. It can be a very good thing. But if someone doesn't need/want a rear locker, then it would be more of a useless thing.

3. Yeah, sorta. An LSD helps with traction by "locking" but it will disengage in certain circumstances.

4. What good is it? I guess that all depends on the person who owns the truck. Plenty of people have regular cab 4x4's without a locking rear diff, and I'm sure the majority of them feel their truck is "good" for their needs.

5. It could "do" a locking rear diff, and nifty TRD emblems, and Bilstein shocks, and progressive rate coils.

6. Some people don't want/need a locking rear diff.

7. I'm trying.

8. Are you asking us, or telling us? SAS by itself does nothing more than replace the stock front suspension/drivetrain with a solid axle and leaf springs/shocks or coilovers. The solid axle may or may not have a locker. Chances are it will. But maybe not right away, if the person has to save up for it.

9. Yes, but if the front diff is not locked, then when one of the front wheels doesn't have traction, all the power will go to that wheel, and it'll just sit there spinning uselessly.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, that was very informative.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Joe Fast said:
In what type of situations would the ability to lock the rear diff be benificial and is it ever a hinderence???
Lockers allow you to have more traction in situations where you have little traction. Basically, if one tire starts to lose traction, the other tire will still be getting power to help you through that spot. Without a locker, the tire that was losing traction would be the one getting all the power, which doesn't help your situation.

As far as when a locker can be a hindrance, read the articles posted above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts