TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read a couple of threads about how people would prefer to have a trd sport to a trd offroad. however, i would definatley prefer to have a offroad so i wouldn't have to worry about the rear diff lock. is the sport quicker, or better on gas? i know that the offroads had problems in 05, but i think that has been fixed for 07's right? do you think it is a good idea know to get an offroad? anyone want to try to turn me away from it?

·
Registered
268 Posts
While I would have preferred the LSD in place of the locker, I couldn't stand the hood scoop and felt the long bed was too much in addition to the double cab. Therefore I went the O/R route on my 06 and I don't have any regrets. I took it on a 3k mile road trip with the Mrs. and two kiddos about a month after I got it and we think it was more comfortable than our other vehicle an 01 Odyssey.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You don't have to get a long bed sport.

Also could have traded the hood easy enough.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I don't know about quicker, but the sport has lower profile tires and stiffer sway bars.

It handles better on the pavement.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I bought the Off Road Model and wish I had bought the Sport. It comes with the larger rear end, 8.4" compared to 8". As far as locking the rear, you can buy an aftermarket locker for under $500. BUY THE SPORT, NO QUESTION!

·
Registered
72 Posts
AWDios said:
You don't have to get a long bed sport.

Also could have traded the hood easy enough.
+1
I have an 06 "short" bed 4x4 TRD Sport

Alot of people would love to trade a sport hood for the non. There was a thread a mile long of such folks recently.

·
Registered
72 Posts
itsmeagain5789 said:
is the sport quicker, or better on gas?
They are the same engine tranny etc. The only thing that may make this possible is gears.
do the sport and off road have the same gear ratios?
Hopefully someone will chime in on this.

Do you like crome or painted bumpers? also one of the minor differences.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Same Gear ratios. I got the Offroad because I like the 16" wheels better for rough terrain(ass well as good tire choices and other dynamics of my preference) in addition the one I bought had the Factory Tow Package which was a no brainer for increasing component life during hard life and getting the increased tow capacity.
I have had the electric locker before in my 02 and I insisted on having it again with this '06. Selectable True lockers beat the hell out of the LSD and lunchbox lockers IMO.
The entire "sport" title is also a turnoff to me. Flashbacks to the Dodge Dakota "Sport" crossed my mind when I heard TRD "Sport" . Every time the term "Sport" is used in reference to a car, it reminds me of a poor package. Remeber "Cherokee sport" (The 4x2 cherokee ) . Poor choice of marketing for my demographic I suppose. But hey, If you want a street ride with low profile tires there is the X-runner. Trying to make a street truck out of a 4x4 height vehicle is ridiculous.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yea, i realized that the trd sports had painted bumpers, i kind of like chrome better. but one thing that i don't get is, why the offroad package is cheaper than the sport. it comes with the locker. i would think that it would be more expensive. has anyone who has the offroad package have any problems with their locker yet? i know they were pretty reliable on the 3rd gen runners. im hoping they are as reliable in the tacos aswell.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its all looks,
Rear end is the only "real" difference.
Same truck.........

And I would argue the larger sport L.S. rear end, vrs, the smaller off road rear end w/locker is a wash...........

You cant go wrong with either..

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Some of the '05's were failing. But I haven't seen much since that first batch of failures. My '06 's locker seems to work as well as the 02. No breakage for me, but I am a pretty smooth easy on the throttle driver.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am not sure about the States but here in Canada I was only able to get the Sport package in the QC set up I wanted.

If you want the locking rear you have to go with the Access Cab.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Come-on Dude!!! That's lame man!
I have a Sport and do not have an account on CT..

The Long Bed was WAY more import to me than a locker and pseudo Off Road tuned suspension.

The Dude said:
www.ttora.com <<trd offroad pkg | trd sport pkg>> www.customtacos.com

·
Registered
639 Posts
anthonycoley said:
Come-on Dude!!! That's lame man!
I have a Sport and do not have an account on CT..

The Long Bed was WAY more import to me than a locker and pseudo Off Road tuned suspension.
I agree. People buy the Off Road or Sport model but then go modify the suspension anyways. So buy the one with the bigger rear end and just add a locker for under $500. Pretty simple. For me it's too late and when I bought I didn't know the sport had a larger rear end.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
cell4soul said:
Go break the ring and pinion in that little 8" rear end and come talk to me.
Don't cry like a bitch if I don't agree , if someone is happy with the other rear end congratulations.
$500 doesn't get you jack for a quality locker. Lunchbox lockers will break before the 8" e-locker will and the ARB will require you to carry some extra gear lube in the tool box and it will cost yyou much more than 500 bones to do well. I have put my previous 8" through some abuse without a hitch and the current one I own seems just as dependable. A bad batch went through in '05 doesn't make all of them weeek. Also your ring gear is not any stouter. It is the pinion setup that is of advantage to you. So it's not the size but rather the pressed in pinion busing thatdevelops side play leading to more trouble. During any regearing with the 8" it is a good idea to inspect or replace that bushing/bearing. I have full confidence in my rear towing up to capacity.
Saying that 8" E locker rears will break is as ignorant as claiming that since we have Toyotas we are going to have engine sludge. Becasue some Toyotas have developed engine sludge in the past does not mean your 1GRFE will.
The same goes with a bad production run of any part. Ball Joints, rear ends, alternators, Rattly dashes in '02's. Problems occur and are fixed.

Now. Explain to me how you would prefer a lunchbox locker or a LSD for a vehicle that does both daily street type driving and offroading where one wheel is often without traction. From my experience I find a selectable locker a great asset. Somtimes such as a muddy crowned road, you want to turn that damn thing off and have opnes are you end uyp off the trail and into sucking swamp mud, you can't do that with a lunchbox locker so enjoy sliding off the trail.

Tight turns in heavy tracion/rock. Have fun with your twenty point turns, I'll turn the locker off and decrease my radius thank you.
How about shock load? Spinning up a ledge and the auto locker grabs traction shocking not only your carrier but your transfercase. A selctable locker is live when you decide to lock it so there is no shock through the drivetrain when traction is found.
So tell the truth, you like the big heavy rims and hood scoop on the sport. It's OK.

Well, back to my search for a real wheeling rig. This Tacoma is for light duty work and play.

·
Registered
229 Posts
cell4soul said:
Go break the ring and pinion in that little 8" rear end and come talk to me.
It also seems you carry a lot of weight with your bed rack, etc. I think you quoted close to 600-700 lbs, i am sure that does not help much.

I dont hear a lot of 8" breaking. Yes yours did but it does not make them all bad. People have broken the 9" that your converting to - but that does not make it a bad rear end.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I guess I'm on the wrong site. I should definitely head over to the TRD Sport site and get information regarding my 4x4 truck. Thanks for the direction!

the dude said:
www.ttora.com <<trd offroad pkg | trd sport pkg>> www.customtacos.com

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd rather have an e-locker than a hood scoop anyday. That non-functional hood scoop won't get you up that steep ass muddy hill! Functionality over aesthetics!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts