TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know why toyota says to keep your speed at 5mph or less while the locker is engaged?

·
Registered
718 Posts
because it wont engage if you are going any faster. the locker is solid, but the pin that engages the locker is the weakest part of the set up. at least thats what i have heard.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
i think it is just one of those liability situations. If someone is out haulin ass in the dirt somewhere and the locker for some reason gets screwed up, we can't go to them saying "you didn't inform me." But no worries, the locker can handle high speeds like a champ!:D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Safety... they don't want to have all these drives with a locked rear end going above a 5mph and getting killed because of lack of knowledge and driving with a locker. And to be able to say they can warranty the rear end. But those are just my guess

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
well i know this is in the older taco section, but is it the same for my 07 taco? cuz i want to be able to haul ass with the locker engaged, but it says the stupid 5 mph limit

·
Registered
419 Posts
well i know this is in the older taco section, but is it the same for my 07 taco? cuz i want to be able to haul ass with the locker engaged, but it says the stupid 5 mph limit
You can.
When I get to the wheelin' spot, I push in the locker. It stays that way until I leave. When you go above 5 mph, the locker light just flashes. It's not like the truck shuts off or anything.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My understanding was is the lock has a safety, it wolnt engage over 5mph. but once locked I though you could atleast do 50mph!

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Does anybody know why toyota says to keep your speed at 5mph or less while the locker is engaged?
Read it again, that's not what it says..It says do not activate the locker at speeds above 5mph..In other words do not push the diff lock button to activate the locker at speeds above 5mph.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Read it again, that's not what it says..It says do not activate the locker at speeds above 5mph..In other words do not push the diff lock button to activate the locker at speeds above 5mph.
Too the point...Good explaination...:D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Toyota does that so that the pin doesn't snap causeing a warranty repair, saving money, causing greater profits, and happy stockholders.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I’m just a newb myself but I know that lockers can sometimes, under certain circumstances, make your truck act in unpredictable ways. Driving with the locker on at higher speeds can lead to a dangerous scenario and loss of control. Indeed, like driving in the snow with the locker engaged at higher speeds can lead to disaster. This because the locked differential, now unable to spin the rear wheels at different speeds, will apply power to the wheels in a manner most are not used to.

I am sure there are folks around here with some truck-acting-strange-with-locker-on stories to share.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I’m just a newb myself but I know that lockers can sometimes, under certain circumstances, make your truck act in unpredictable ways. Driving with the locker on at higher speeds can lead to a dangerous scenario and loss of control. Indeed, like driving in the snow with the locker engaged at higher speeds can lead to disaster. This because the locked differential, now unable to spin the rear wheels at different speeds, will apply power to the wheels in a manner most are not used to.

I am sure there are folks around here with some truck-acting-strange-with-locker-on stories to share.
not strange it just acts like its locked! I allways drive locked in the dirt unless its slow crawling tight turning stuff but its mostly baja style stuff for me. I recomend not engaging your locker unless completely stopped and then just barely roll untill it engages, then haul balls:D but if you are not experienced driving fast locked be very carefull as the rear end will come around very fast if you are not ready

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
yup, i already learned that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts