TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I joined Tread Lightly last week..

In the Guide to Responsible Four-Wheeling it goes over Minimum impact tactics, Respect for the environment, and Preparation. All good stuff I might add. Most of the stuff they go over I learned the hard way, years ago.
Anyhow, I'm reading along and they are talking about winching and mention that if you don't have a good anchor point You can Bury your spare.
That's something I'm happy to learn. Don't think I would have thought of it, maybe.

Two camping trips ago at GWNF I needed to use my winch to get over some Ice that formed in layers across the road in a horrible spot. I was already trapped cause the entire trail was Ice behind me. The closest Usable tree was 115' out. I know this cause my winch was at the end of it's line and I had to use my 30' strap to reach. With the two hoops of the strap and the hook of the cable I had to force it to clip. A thought I was having cause I didn't have a tree saver or anouther strap was, "what if I didn't have enough length (that's what your mom said) what would I have done? Well, Bury my Spare Tire! Brilliant!!

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
go try that on a gnarly rocky trail...or have a 37x14x16 spare...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Tread lightly... you tread upon my dreams.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that you mention that.. not sure how well it would work for me in these here parts.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My buddy got stuck in a nasty spot with no winch points, i never would have thought of that! I ended up running home and getting a boat anchor lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
Friend of mine got stuck in a mud hole in the middle of a field. Lucky he had a metal fence post and a picket pounder in the back. Pound in fence post. Winch off it. Dig it up and move it back. Repeat for about a hundred feet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts