TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on tearing down my 85 axle. I got past the dreaded cone washers (mine weren't that bad and came out with a little persuasion. However I can't get it to seperate from the bearing. I got the bottom cap off and it slid out of the bearing fairly easy (a couple tries and it fell right out).

The top is just being a bitch. There's some play, just the amount for the bearing to float from the ball to the top of the knuckle, but that's it.

I tried taking a large punch up thru the bottom and smacking it, but didn't break it loose. It almost seems like I'm missing a snap ring or something (but didn't see that in any diagrams).

Any tricks? am I missing something obvious? I searched around and seems all the writeup's simply say "remove steering arm from knuckle".

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
heat is your friend.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Howd it go so far? Sounds like a few of us might be able to focus on this sat afternoon if need be...

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
ive never looked, can you get a pickle fork in on it to pop it off??

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. None really apply to this situation (can't get heat on the bearing, can't get a pickle fork in there, I've tried using the arms as leverage). I think I'm just going to finish stripping down the axle, then flip it over and beat on the pin from the top. hammering up on it upside down when the axle was just sitting on jack stands wasn't the best method (especially when there was still play inbetween the knuckle and ball).

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it. turning the axle upside down so the arm/bearing were resting on the knuckle was the key.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts