TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The drivers side (with oem springs and some aftermarket springs) has a dip to it because of the extra weight on that side (battery, gas, driver). You can add a shim(s) under the shock tower mount (under the rubber) to add a tad of preload to driverside spring thus reducing the dip on that side.

after 2 days of searching for a off-the-shelf shim in metal and of correct size, i finally found it and is very inexpensive.

goto mcmaster.com Raw Materials and Springs >>> Shim Stock and you will find Plain Steel shims that will work. add 5-6mm worth of shim.

i'm working on building a cutting tool/jig to regroove the perch snapring, but right now i'm just going with the metal shim and will carefully design/construct the tool.

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
Are you talking abut Old Man Emu springs? If so, they make "trim packers" that will help the sag. They are about $7 a piece and can be stacked for the desired height. I have 3 on my driver's side and 2 on the passenger. They can be found anywhere the sells the springs and shocks. Hope that is what you were looking for.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Alan11116 said:
Are you talking abut Old Man Emu springs? If so, they make "trim packers" that will help the sag. They are about $7 a piece and can be stacked for the desired height. I have 3 on my driver's side and 2 on the passenger. They can be found anywhere the sells the springs and shocks. Hope that is what you were looking for.
i have OME 881's, but in general i meant OEM (stock) springs as well as some other aftermarket springs like OME. some will get new shocks (maybe Bilstein or not) on OEM springs (or any spring that does not come designated left or right like the OME's).

what are the OME part #'s you speak of? are they metal or plastic? what shocks do you have? OME makes shims for going under the spring perch (for OME shocks only) as well as urethane shims for going on top of the spring (made for non-coilover setups like on the land cruiser, but the sizing was not correct for my spring).

which ones do you have?

OR

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
cvajs said:
i have OME 881's, but in general i meant OEM (stock) springs as well as some other aftermarket springs like OME. some will get new shocks (maybe Bilstein or not) on OEM springs (or any spring that does not come designated left or right like the OME's).

what are the OME part #'s you speak of? are they metal or plastic? what shocks do you have? OME makes shims for going under the spring perch (for OME shocks only) as well as urethane shims for going on top of the spring (made for non-coilover setups like on the land cruiser, but the sizing was not correct for my spring).

which ones do you have?

OR

hey man, I have the ones in the second picture.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to use the OME trim packers you need the OME shocks, or have a ring land welded onto your shock (which can be dangerous since the shock is pressurized and the shock wall is relatively thin). also, i believe the OME bottom spring perch wont work on a HD Bil replacement because the HD Bil bottom spring perch actually sits over a snap-ring, whereas the OME bottom spring perch sits right on the ring land (or trim packer), etc.

those yellow spacers pictured are used on top of springs only, not on a coilover (like on the rear of a 1996 4runner, etc).

i had my driver side HD Bil re-grooved to add some pre-load. an alternative is to use some stainless steel shim discs which can be obtained from http://www.mcmaster.com/ and they would go on top of your spring but under the shock tower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts