TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was good. Brought these two home with me.....

And this one followed.....

I just don't know what I'm going to do!

·
7,735 Posts
well, start tearing them apart and put one back together and get out on a trail!

Got your txt messages earlier, didn't reply cause I was putting a crawl box together. Congrats on the purchases. which one you going to pick to run the trails? I'd vote for the 1st gen runner.

BTW... you ought to give classes on how to explain 3 non-running trucks to your wife!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was putting a crawl box together.
You need two top shifters or a top and forward?

Congrats on the purchases. which one you going to pick to run the trails? I'd vote for the 1st gen runner.
Man I'm really wanting to do the runner. (it's even got a sunroof and all power) Funny thing is I wasn't even interested in it at first. One small problem, no title on it. I need to find out what getting one entails if anyone wants to chime in.

BTW... you ought to give classes on how to explain 3 non-running trucks to your wife!
Hey one runs! The frame is just about cracked in half though. I think this one is going to become a trailer. It was an interesting drive from Longmont.

Driver's Side

Passenger that's been "patched" before.

And it's not really that hard. "It's cheap extra parts honey." ;)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
One small problem, no title on it. I need to find out what getting one entails if anyone wants to chime in.
You'll need a certified VIN inspection from either the police, sheriff or the clerks office in whatever jurisdiction you will want the title/registration in.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Nice! I would most likely get my traveling bags handed to me if I brought all of those home. Let me know if you need any help. I am sure I can find a day somewhere on the weekend to help out.

·
7,735 Posts
You need two top shifters or a top and forward?
_I_ don't need any more t-cases... but if you wanted to do it, the forward t-case just needs to match your tranny. I used a forward shift t-case sitting behind an r151 (from an 86 22ret), but you can use top either top or forward for the first case, the rear case needs to be top shifting tho (I used one from a 79 known as Mr. Ugly).

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll need a certified VIN inspection from either the police, sheriff or the clerks office in whatever jurisdiction you will want the title/registration in.
Do I just call dispatch and ask for someone to come do a VIN verification?

_I_ don't need any more t-cases... but if you wanted to do it, the forward t-case just needs to match your tranny. I used a forward shift t-case sitting behind an r151 (from an 86 22ret), but you can use top either top or forward for the first case, the rear case needs to be top shifting tho (I used one from a 79 known as Mr. Ugly).
I didn't figure you needed any. It was one of those "Ahh, I just need an adapter" moments. :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! I would most likely get my traveling bags handed to me if I brought all of those home. Let me know if you need any help. I am sure I can find a day somewhere on the weekend to help out.
Let me know when you have some free time. I'm pretty much going to tear them all down to nothing and piece together from there. I'll take any help I can get. Besides, we need to get together for something since we've "known" each other for a year and never talked or wheeled.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Do I just call dispatch and ask for someone to come do a VIN verification?
Yep. I had to get a VIN verification on my SC since it was an out of state car, and a Douglas County "Community Safety Patrol" officer met me at a location of my choosing. Just call the non-emergency number and they'll set it up.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been standing outside staring, measuring, staring some more, and measuring some more. I like the '82 body style better, but I would really like more inside space. What do you guys think about a bobbed '82 4Runner? With rough measurements, it looks like it could easily be done.

Definitely not a final draft, but it's a good start. It would have about 15" of bed space. Be good for spare tire, tools, spares, etc. The top bobbed 21" and still removable. The rear window would be permanently fixed in the top. I have a 30 gal fuel tank out of a conversion van to sling under the rear floor.

I like the longer wheelbase and I might be able to use the stock runner driveshafts with a doubler on the long bed frame.

Now I just need a damn welder. :(

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yep. I had to get a VIN verification on my SC since it was an out of state car, and a Douglas County "Community Safety Patrol" officer met me at a location of my choosing. Just call the non-emergency number and they'll set it up.
Actually for that, you will need a certified vin inspection in which case you have to take it to a location that the CSP does them. I ran into that problem when trying to get a title for my 4runner. I got a vin verification and needed a certified vin inspection. I guess it is two totally different things

the vin verification just says the vehicle is what it is and is not stolen

The certified inspection is the same thing just a little deeper. They check to make sure the vehicle is road worthy.

SOOO you may want to do that before you tear it apart or once you have it put back together

·
7,735 Posts
I don't know.. It seems like it would be easier to just build the runner, but the other 2 options look good. Each with there merrits. I like the runner top on the first gen body and having that little bitty bed for spares, etc makes sense too...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're right, it would be easier, but I want something unique. Granted this is kind of like a Trekker, but different at the same time. Hell, I don't know, my ideas will change 40 times before I even get to doin any body work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts