TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Keyser Soze
540 Posts
I have used two really small screwdrivers to press outward on both ends of the clip. You can get enough slack that way to get it to come out of the groove where you can remove it.

·
Keyser Soze
540 Posts
Black with Moly goes in the outside boot.

5. ASSEMBLE BOOT TO OUTBOARD JOINT
Before assembling the boot, pack the outboard joint and boot
with grease in the boot kit.
Grease capacity: (Color = Black)
215 – 235 g (7.58 – 8.29 oz.)
6. ASSEMBLE BOOT AND INBOARD JOINT TULIP
(a) Pack the inboard joint and boot with grease in the boot kit.
Grease capacity: (Color = Yellow ocher)
230 – 250 g (8.11 – 8.82 oz.)
(b) Align the matchmarks placed before removal, install the
inboard joint tulip to the drive shaft.
(c) Temporarily install the boot to the inboard joint tulip.
7. ASSEMBLE BOOT CLAMPS TO BOTH BOOTS
(a) Make sure that the boots are in the shaft groove.

·
Keyser Soze
540 Posts
You can half-ass it with pliers and screwdrivers, but you really need the tool to do right so you won't have to do it again.

There are two types of banding tools. One uses bands like the factory ones that have a crimp in them and the other is simpler and uses generic bands that get pulled tight and fold over to lock them.

If you have the crimp type of band, the only way to do them right is to use the tool. Other methods always seem to come loose.

If you have the generic type of band, you can sometimes get them tight without using a special tool, but I have found that it's easier and much more of a sure thing to use the banding tool.

·
Keyser Soze
540 Posts
You will have better luck at an autoparts store. On their freestanding, rotating racks, they usually have both types of tools.

Were I you, I would scrap the crimp type bands if that is what you have, go to the autoparts store and pick up the generic bands and generic tool. That way you have it and the generic bands can be used for other things, hose clamps, etc., so it's a handy tool to have around.

·
Keyser Soze
540 Posts
The snap ring that clips into the diff? If so, you just have to spread it a bit and slip it over the end of the splines.

You are talking about the part furthes left in this drawing, right?

<attached>

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, sorry. The one I am talking about actually isn't shown in the picture, but it would be between the tripod and the inboard joint boot. Cause starting on the tulip end of the CV it goes snap ring, tripod, snap ring, cause the two snap rings hold the tripod in place. However, the snap ring i am talking about it way thicker than the other one making it hard to separate. Thanks.

·
sunuva
73 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
Ok, now my problem is those damn clamps. How do I pinch that peice of metal to tighten the clamps. I have tried pliers, but they don't want to pinch. Thanks.
or u can just use a large hose clamp

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
5 Participants
Nanotruck
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing