TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to put high angle cv boots on my truck but i cant get the tripod joint off of the cv shaft. i took the snap ring off like the fsm said and i tried to hit the tripod joint off and it wont budge. is there something I'm doing wrong or is there some sort of trick to it?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
i am trying to put high angle cv boots on my truck but i cant get the tripod joint off of the cv shaft. i took the snap ring off like the fsm said and i tried to hit the tripod joint off and it wont budge. is there something I'm doing wrong or is there some sort of trick to it?
Hmm, with that snap ring off the very end of the shaft the tripod should slide right off. There is an inner snap ring but you only remove that if you need to pull the outer joint boot appart.

got any pics?

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
There are two snap rings or c-clips to hold the tripod on the shaft.

Be sure to try to put some matchmarks on the tripod & shaft
THe inner clip should be quite visible- remove this one first-
Once you remove the innver clip, with a brass drift tap the tripod down the shaft( toward the center of the CV shaft).
This should expose the outer snap-ring. WIth ththe outer snap-ring removed- the tripod will come off.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
There are two snap rings or c-clips to hold the tripod on the shaft.

Be sure to try to put some matchmarks on the tripod & shaft
THe inner clip should be quite visible- remove this one first-
Once you remove the innver clip, with a brass drift tap the tripod down the shaft( toward the center of the CV shaft).
This should expose the outer snap-ring. WIth ththe outer snap-ring removed- the tripod will come off.
yea..what he said :p been a while since I took one of them suckers appart.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
i thought it was called the "Tulip" not tripod... Hmm.. New word... I guess it's all the same when everyone is on the same page.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
i thought it was called the "Tulip" not tripod... Hmm.. New word... I guess it's all the same when everyone is on the same page.

There is a cluster of three roller/needle bearings on the inside hence the Tri nomenclature
The outer housing resembles a tulip

The tripod is only visible when removed from the tulip housing.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
There is a cluster of three roller/needle bearings on the inside hence the Tri nomenclature
The outer housing resembles a tulip

The tripod is only visible when removed from the tulip housing.
What's better than roses on a piano...tulips on my organ. That should settle that debate:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts