TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a 95 Taco with the 2.7L engine. The truck will start right up when cold. If he makes a short drive, say 5-10 minutes, and shuts the truck off, when he tries to restart it, it cranks very slowly and does not want to start. Sometimes he has to sit for 10 or 15 minutes before it will crank. The starter is relatively new and he has had the battery and alternator tested. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Check the grounds, does he have a header pipe running past the starter?
This a common problem with small block Chevy's running headers, its usually fixed by installing a heat shield.

Tim

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tbplus10 said:
Check the grounds, does he have a header pipe running past the starter?
This a common problem with small block Chevy's running headers, its usually fixed by installing a heat shield.

Tim
He does have a header but it has been installed for three years without issue. If this is the problem, is the issue with heat from the header impacting the starter or something else?

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
Cappleton3 said:
I have a friend with a 95 Taco with the 2.7L engine. The truck will start right up when cold. If he makes a short drive, say 5-10 minutes, and shuts the truck off, when he tries to restart it, it cranks very slowly and does not want to start. Sometimes he has to sit for 10 or 15 minutes before it will crank. The starter is relatively new and he has had the battery and alternator tested. Any ideas?
I have a 2004 3.4 that had the exact same symptoms. There are two seperate TSB from Toyota on my application which involve changing a wiring harness and then changing the pickup tube in the gas tank. That appears to have fixed my problem, and those TSB's involved 2003-2004 3.4ltr only.
Sorry about jumping your thread, but I just thought there might be more newer model owners reading this, and I just wanted to get the info out there.
Good luck with your truck.
Bill

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The starters get heat soaked, usually happens with an older starter and battery. His symptoms sound so close though. Have the Positive and Negative wires checked for resistance also, there may be corrosion building up on the wires under the protective coating, this can also cause the same symptoms.
I just replaced the starting harness on my 95 due to this problem, the wires had about 5 strands left, the rest were corroded through.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts