TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't wanna do it but I may have to. I'm not crazy about truck caps at all but it would make life a whole lot easier for transporting my tools to and from work. Can anyone recommend a company who at least makes a "cool" looking cap for my tacoma? thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
i'm not real big on them either, but i have one sitting on my truck right now because of the rain. mine's a Sportsman and it's one of the better ones i've seen. it's certainly functional, but i like just throwing junk in my truck without having to open a back door, plus it looks better without the top.

whoops, getting off track....Sportsman seems to be good. it came with the truck. carpet lined with a light...it's actually really nice. not sure how much they retail for, but for a "cap" it's pretty good.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That looks a lot like mine. 96tacomasx, I sent you a PM if you're interested in a used one (though mine's black).

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Cappers are sweet! They keep your bed clear of snow and rain, keep your stuff secure, provide a nice place to camp/sleep, and allow for minimal people/animal transportation back there.
The best looking are the Leer with the frameless rear glass. Very pricey though. I believe ARE makes a similar one for a bit cheaper, then there's local manufaturers I'm sure. Cappers are not cheap though, I got mine for $1,000 with very few bells and whistles, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I love the cap!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
ljschnel said:
Cappers are sweet! They keep your bed clear of snow and rain, keep your stuff secure, provide a nice place to camp/sleep, and allow for minimal people/animal transportation back there.
The best looking are the Leer with the frameless rear glass. Very pricey though. I believe ARE makes a similar one for a bit cheaper, then there's local manufaturers I'm sure. Cappers are not cheap though, I got mine for $1,000 with very few bells and whistles, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I love the cap!
Yeah, I had a frameless Leer on my truck when I bought it. I would keep it, but me hauling the bike with a shell is impractical.

I am selling this shell. Located in Castro Valley, CA. Carpeted inside, green paint, NICE condition. Selling wiring for it as well...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Yeah, I had a frameless Leer on my truck when I bought it. I would keep it, but me hauling the bike with a shell is impractical.

I am selling this shell. Located in Castro Valley, CA. Carpeted inside, green paint, NICE condition. Selling wiring for it as well...
You'll regret it. That is a kick ass cap, probably $1400 new. I got a bike too. Fuck screwing around with getting it up in your bed! I got a little trailer that works great...or get one of those hitch haulers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ARE makes a nice standard looking shell. It is called a value series and is competitive with cheaper brands for about the same cash, around $800-900. The leer 100le has the framed side windows and framless rear door which looks good but it is more. The leer 100xl,100xq or the are z series are also nice choices but they are going to cost over $1500.

Your best choice is always a good condition used one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
if you're not transporting a bunch of tall stuff, maybe you should consider a tonneau cover since they look a lot smoother (imo)

·
Registered
324 Posts
don't they make like a canvas style camper top. i think those look pretty "outdoorsy" and i think you can take it down if you need to in a pinch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel your pain brother.... I had to bite the bullet and get a LEER cap for mine too. I bought a brand new tonneau, but it proved to be too impractical. My kids say it looks like an old mans truck now..but what the heck, at 47 I AM AN OLD MAN! I'm thinking a couple of inches of lift will help it look better. Oh and BTW, if your truck hasnt bottomed out because of the SUCKY suspension of an '06, it will once you get the cap. It's not too bad, just certain speed bump-like humps will get ya.

Do yourself a favor and but a Toyota rubber bed mat too, otherwise everything slids around!

I tow with a trailer, screw luggin that stuff up a ramp, the tailgate can't take it anyway!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just bought a Leer shell for mine. I ordered one with a fatory thule rack installed. I can keep all my gear safe and secure an I've still got a way to transport bikes etc. up top. Yes, it's an "old man" truck now, but it does look a little more "sporty" with the rack on top.....

·
Registered
629 Posts
I dont like caps either but I have one... one good thing is you can TAKE IT OFF when you want. ;)
It's not bad wheeling with it and it provides a dry place to sleep if needed and some security if you have toys~N~tools.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
All of you with LEER caps should know that you can easily swap the "L" and "R" around and have a REEL cap! Anyways, I guess I can't understand why cappers have such a bad or "old man" image, but do what you like. I looked at those canvas caps, but they don't have side windows and just don't seem as secure for storage.
As for tonneaus, they are totally impracticle if you ask me and they are mich better suited to a lowrider truck, imo.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
cabo john said:
I dont like caps either but I have one... one good thing is you can TAKE IT OFF when you want. ;)
It's not bad wheeling with it and it provides a dry place to sleep if needed and some security if you have toys~N~tools.
You can take it off, but lemmy tell ya, takin off that leer with 3 people was not fun. What a PITA.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Couldn't have been harder than taking the original fiberglass top off a '72 Chevy Blazer...that was a PITA regardless of the number of people

·
Registered
73 Posts
I never liked them, but several people on this board wheel hard with caps and have great clean space to keep stuff. Almost makes me envious! You have to watch out careful for offcamber areas that will tilt the cap into rocks or trees though.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
NorcalPR said:
You can take it off, but lemmy tell ya, takin off that leer with 3 people was not fun. What a PITA.
Ahhhh! me and my buddy take our caps on and off for a bit of excercise on the weekends!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts