TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is getting annoying. Every morning when I get out to my '99 V6 Xcab it doesn't want to start. I turn the key and get a 'click' and hear a faint background 'wrrrr' and the truck doesn't start. This started happening about a week ago - at first it only took 2 or 3 tries to get it to start up, but now its like a dozen tries or more. Today it took me almost 15 mins to get it going :xcrybaby:. Later in the day after its been started once it starts up just fine without a problem.

I've cleaned off the battery terminals, but it seems like its getting good power (alarm went off on me just fine). I thought I read something about dirty starter contacts somewhere (4x4wire or other) but it was for the 22re and I wasn't sure if it was applicable. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the same truck and had the same problem. Climb under and clean the starter contacts with a wire brush, this should work. At least it's a free attemt and then you can go from there. I swear I had the exact same symptoms and this was an easy fix, gets pretty dirty under there.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
JonnyOzero3 said:
Okay sweet - I'll try that this afternoon...thanks...hope it works
Another thing to look at is cables, not just cleaning theends, i thought i did fine just clenaing the ends of mine, but turns out the corosion was deeper and causing problems, i also found to check the ground connection down at the frame.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ShowStop said:
Sounds like the contacts in your starter solenoid are going bad. Replace those contacts and that should fix the problem.
Yeah, if none of the external checks fix the problem, do what he said. My truck had similar symptoms, and sure enough, one of my contacs was worn halfway down.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
me too

JonnyOzero3 said:
Well this is getting annoying. Every morning when I get out to my '99 V6 Xcab it doesn't want to start. I turn the key and get a 'click' and hear a faint background 'wrrrr' and the truck doesn't start. This started happening about a week ago - at first it only took 2 or 3 tries to get it to start up, but now its like a dozen tries or more. Today it took me almost 15 mins to get it going :xcrybaby:. Later in the day after its been started once it starts up just fine without a problem.

I've cleaned off the battery terminals, but it seems like its getting good power (alarm went off on me just fine). I thought I read something about dirty starter contacts somewhere (4x4wire or other) but it was for the 22re and I wasn't sure if it was applicable. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

That's funny, mine was doing the exact same thing for about two weeks and then just stopped. I took it through a car wash, cleaned the maf sensor, checked the air filter, added water to the battery and have not had a problem since. In fact, it seems to start better than before it started acting crazy. Now I know what I did probably had absolutely nothing to do with it stopping, but it did stop. If you find the problem, please share.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody for the help so far (I didn't get notified of all the responses or I would have replied sooner). I didn't get to clean the contacts yet (haynes isn't helpful and I'm useless, I know), and today my truck absolutely wouldn't start. I procrastinate way too much...lol.

So, I'm not completely retarded...I can find the starter...I checked the wires going in and they seem okay. What's the easiest way to clean the contacts with the wire brush? Can I do it while leaving the starter on the engine? My haynes manual seems to only talk about taking it off and apart- nothing about leaving it on and what to take off just to do maintenance.

I'll also check the frame ground if I can find it.

And I'll try to find the starter relay to make sure its not loose.

Sucks that i'm leaving for xmas vacation this afternoon and the truck will probably just have to sit and rot until I get back... :p

Thanks again guys - I bet as soon as I get back and take care of this you'll be right about the contacts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently had the same problem. Ended up getting replacement starter contacts at the stealership after checking my battery with a voltmeter. Disconnected battery (safety first). Had to remove the starter from the truck to do the work (easiest to do through the wheel well). Once I had the starter apart, I replaced the contacts, and used a Dremel tool to polish up the plunger. Reassembled the starter assembly, and reinstalled the starter in the truck. Hooked the battery back up and she started right up with vigor. Whole job took an hour, of which most of it was spent getting the starter out of the truck. I'd say the job is a 1.5 out of 5 in difficulty.

-Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
usgsfishman
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing