TTORA Forum banner

Truck Height Laws

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  shovelracer 
#1 ·
Is there a write up on the laws and restrictions for lifting trucks? I had lowered cars before and got multiple fines for having the car too lowered. That is the reason why I got me a Tacoma and now I want to lift it. I have heard there are specific regulations on the height and witdh. I have researched and all I can find is regulations on the height of big rigs.

Please HELP

#3 ·
I think its 56'' from the center of the headlight to the ground is the legal height im not to sure, Id check ith ur local vichcle inspection facilaties on what the D.O.T regulations are, or ask a D.O.T officer.

#4 ·
I think its 56'' from the center of the headlight to the ground is the legal height im not to sure, Id check ith ur local vichcle inspection facilaties on what the D.O.T regulations are, or ask a D.O.T officer.

#5 ·
Yeah I have heard the 56" center of headlight thing to but here in alabama as long as its nothing like skyscraper its no problem and theres no problem here with wide tires either. How much lift are you planning on putting on the truck? 12" of lift and 38" tires are about topped out for a tacoma. There are a few higher but not many that aren't Straight axled rigs.

#7 ·
It depends on the weight of the truck in CA. I believe that extra cab tacomas can have the frame rails something like 29" from the ground. The regular cabs are like 27" I forget exactly but those should be close. There are bumper height laws and headlight laws as well. But if your truck is so high that it's illegal... you should probably put it on a trailer.

#9 ·
theres a write up in last years fourwheeler magazine, couldn't tell you what month it was, but it had the lift laws for every state, here in tennessee it goes by bumper heighth, like your bumper can't be something like 46" inches off the ground, if i remember correctly

#10 ·
California...

" (b) The maximum frame height is as follows:
Vehicle Type Frame Height
(1) Passenger vehicles, except housecars ... 23 inches
(2) All other motor vehicles, including housecars, as follows:
Up to 4,500 pounds GVWR ......... 27 inches
4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR ..... 30 inches
7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR .... 31 inches"

Strange...the heavier the higher? Not much, but still kinda dumb.

#11 ·
thanhnp said:
Is there a write up on the laws and restrictions for lifting trucks? I had lowered cars before and got multiple fines for having the car too lowered. That is the reason why I got me a Tacoma and now I want to lift it. I have heard there are specific regulations on the height and witdh. I have researched and all I can find is regulations on the height of big rigs.

Please HELP
Peterson's 4wheel & off road mag. Had the whole mess printed. I'm sure you can locate it on their site. Sorry, Ican't say which month it was. Started my spring cleaning early, I 'm sure they sent it to the landfill last week...

#14 ·
thanhnp said:

Please HELP
CA is very lenient when it comes to height. I'm sure you see the same stupid full-sized street queens all over the place running 44" tires and bling wheels. Just make sure you have some decent mud flaps and the law will most likely leave you alone.

Later,
....Mike

#15 ·
tbplus10 said:
This list was compiled by SEMA and representatives from state agencies, it's pretty accurate and very upto date.

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=33587

Tim
i just read that link and this is from Michigan:

"Shackle replacements cannot exceed the OE length by more than 2 inches, AND NO COIL-SPRING SPACERS."

does this mean no spacer lifts? i'm not from michigan but thought this was odd. there are some other strange restrictions in many other states.

#18 ·
I'm sure the SEMA link is pretty accurate. I find that in most places a lot is still left to interpretation and dumb luck. You are from CA, when I lived there the issues were more about mud flaps and light/ bumper heights. Go to Tahoe on any weekend and you'll see at least one vehicle with doors over your head. For the most part law enforcement likes trucks and respectable drivers. They are really after the racer kids that endanger themselves and others, but attitude goes a long way. I find this to be from coast to coast. The bottom line is very few people actually know the current laws regarding this subject since they are always changing. The big concern is what the inspection station has to say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.