TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got in the truck went to start, it and noticed a fucked up noise, the silinoid isnt shutting of the starter so even with the key off the starter just keeps engaging solidly, think its the silinoid or the starter itself?

edit: trucks also a 96 v6 and the starter was doing the infimaous click before it just decided to be weird?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Mine did the same a couple of years ago. My starter was in bad shape so I replaced it. You can always buy the components to do a rebuild (contacts). Do a search on a starter rebuild and you will find everything you need.. Otherwise, a new starter from the dealer is about $220.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can get napa starters with a 3mo warranty for about 130, from the dealer they are 205. I just wanted to see the cause because it kinda scared me a bit. :mad:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
dude i had that shit happen and it was bad, the starter burned itself all up, so much white smoke billowing out from under the hood i thought it was the wires goin up. luckily all it was was the piece of shit starter.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Agree with above. You may want to check the starter relay also. This is what supplies the power to the starter

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i had to drive like a mile or so home from where the truck decided to do this, ill tell you it smelt like shit when i popped the hood, ill look at the relay when i do the starter tomorrow

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Starter contacts probably stuck closed keeping the starter engaged. If you didnt totally burn the starter up the contacts can be replaced seperately but if its to bad you may have to replace the whole starter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im just replacing the entire thing as the truck has 200K miles and the starters still original, i got under the truck and man that looks like a whole hell of alot of fun ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
srb88042 said:
im just replacing the entire thing as the truck has 200K miles and the starters still original, i got under the truck and man that looks like a whole hell of alot of fun ;)

It is.. There are 2 bolts mounting it to the trans assuming you've got an AT. a long extension and universal joints are your best friend. Then there is the electrical connection and the ground. The starter comes out through the fender well so you will have to unclip the apron. I think I also pulled out the upper control arm bolt to make for more room when I did mine.

Also disconnect your battery before doing it. I didn't and I welded one of the transmission coolant lines with the arc. :D

·
Banned
722 Posts
srb88042 said:
i can get napa starters with a 3mo warranty for about 130, from the dealer they are 205. I just wanted to see the cause because it kinda scared me a bit. :mad:
Autozone for under a 100$ w/ lifetime warranty beats that any day

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got it half done, and then needed the longer extension the two i had were two short, or too long. Gonna finish it tomorrow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts