TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 2002 Dcab V6 4x4 auto. It has the supercharger and 45,000 miles on it. At times I'm having troubles starting it. Its not a battery as it cranks fine, just won't turn over very easily. And its not cold weather as today it did this to me and was like 55 out. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Rebuild the starter, it sounds like your contacts are worn or dirty. You can buy the kits from trdparts4u for around $35.

Tim

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tbplus10 said:
Rebuild the starter, it sounds like your contacts are worn or dirty. You can buy the kits from trdparts4u for around $35.

Tim
Didnt think with that few miles on it, it would do something like that. Have to see about getting a rebuild kit. Today it just cranked and took a while to start. I'll take a look at that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
colorado125 said:
Its not a battery as it cranks fine, just won't turn over very easily.
Rephrase that maybe, it's tough to tell what your truck is or isn't doing. Is it turning over quickly but not catching?

If so my vote is for the MAF sensor. My truck used to have trouble starting, sometimes taking several attempts. "Normal" according to the dealer...

Then the engine threw a CE light which they traced to a defective MAF sensor. After that was replaced I haven't had trouble starting since.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thats the biggest thing i miss about my 90 Mustang GT. As soon as i hit the key it fired instantly, ah i miss it! My Taco cranks a few times, and every now and then i have to hit it a couple times, and mine only has 14000 miles on it!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pete said:
Rephrase that maybe, it's tough to tell what your truck is or isn't doing. Is it turning over quickly but not catching?

If so my vote is for the MAF sensor. My truck used to have trouble starting, sometimes taking several attempts. "Normal" according to the dealer...

Then the engine threw a CE light which they traced to a defective MAF sensor. After that was replaced I haven't had trouble starting since.
Its "cranking", like when you try and start it, it cranks a few times then starts normally, except in continues to crank without actually starting. It takes a while to start. Not sure how to describe it. Normal cranking "sounds" etc, but doesn't want to start or run. :confused:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Jay04Taco said:
Thats the biggest thing i miss about my 90 Mustang GT. As soon as i hit the key it fired instantly, ah i miss it! My Taco cranks a few times, and every now and then i have to hit it a couple times, and mine only has 14000 miles on it!
Ultra-common problem with the 3.4's the past couple of years, there is actually a TSB for it, posted here somewhere recently. If it makes you feel any better my truck used to do that, but somehow cured itself, I've heard others mention thier trucks being cured as well, a miracle? Maybe, just maybe...

·
Registered
161 Posts
colorado125 said:
Its "cranking", like when you try and start it, it cranks a few times then starts normally, except in continues to crank without actually starting. It takes a while to start. Not sure how to describe it. Normal cranking "sounds" etc, but doesn't want to start or run. :confused:

I'm sticking with my guess above then.

I used to love stopping to get gas and then failing to start 3 times in a row. People would always ask "What's wrong with your truck?"

Hope you're able to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
colorado125 said:
Ok, I have a 2002 Dcab V6 4x4 auto. It has the supercharger and 45,000 miles on it. At times I'm having troubles starting it. Its not a battery as it cranks fine, just won't turn over very easily. And its not cold weather as today it did this to me and was like 55 out. Any ideas? Thanks.
Try replacing your spark plugs first! $2 ea. and 10 mins of labor.

2nd try replacing the fuel filter. apprx. $30 and 30 mins of self labor.

Then go for the starter if the 1st two things dont work. Unless you've already tried them.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
colorado125 said:
If the battery is weak and your cranking rpms are slow it can be hard to fire the engine because the crank sensor wont send a good clean signal to the computer, same if the starter is not working properly. What you are describing " Its not the battery as it cranks fine, just wont turn over very easily" is a little confusing since cranking the engine and it turning over are the same thing unless you mean cranks fine but just wont start very easy. Is the engine cranking fast and just wont start up or is it cranking but slower than normal and wont start?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
knoxtaco said:
If the battery is weak and your cranking rpms are slow it can be hard to fire the engine because the crank sensor wont send a good clean signal to the computer, same if the starter is not working properly. What you are describing " Its not the battery as it cranks fine, just wont turn over very easily" is a little confusing since cranking the engine and it turning over are the same thing unless you mean cranks fine but just wont start very easy. Is the engine cranking fast and just wont start up or is it cranking but slower than normal and wont start?
its not cranking slowly, as I've had vehicles with low batteries before. It is cranking like a brand new vehicle would, fast is how i guess I'd put it. So yeah it cranks fine, just wont take hold and start/run.

I am going to put in new spark plugs as I've got the colder ones from gadget since I have the supercharger and some slight ping, but the manual says to put in new spark plugs every 30,000 miles, which I did. I have to try the fuel filter sometime also, as I'm not sure that was replaced and when it should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
colorado125 said:
its not cranking slowly, as I've had vehicles with low batteries before. It is cranking like a brand new vehicle would, fast is how i guess I'd put it. So yeah it cranks fine, just wont take hold and start/run.

I am going to put in new spark plugs as I've got the colder ones from gadget since I have the supercharger and some slight ping, but the manual says to put in new spark plugs every 30,000 miles, which I did. I have to try the fuel filter sometime also, as I'm not sure that was replaced and when it should be replaced.

I had the exact same problem this morning with mine. It took about 10 minutes to start. However, mine's a 2.7 with 58k miles. I'm hoping this was just a one time instance. It started fine last night when I pulled it partially in the garage to work on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
colorado125 said:
I can think of two possibilities:

First, if it's eventually cranking every time and just taking longer than normal, I'd guess the fuel pressure is dropping over time. There's supposed to be a valve or something that keeps the fuel lines from draining back to the tank. If this valve isn't working properly, it takes a little while for the fuel to get from your tank to the engine, which could easily make it take a couple seconds to start.

The other possibility is if you have an aftermarket alarm. I had a Viper alarm on when I bought my truck (used), and it confused the hell out of me trying to figure out what was wrong. Even when I thought I had found the ignition disable and removed it, it still didn't work. I eventually took it to the dealer, they removed the entire alarm, and I've had no problems since.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
colorado125 said:

Best I recall fuel filter replace every 30k or so. Its easy just dont do it when the truck is hot. Unless yours is situated back on the frame? Mines a 2.7 2000 and its located under the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cloomis3 said:
I can think of two possibilities:

First, if it's eventually cranking every time and just taking longer than normal, I'd guess the fuel pressure is dropping over time. There's supposed to be a valve or something that keeps the fuel lines from draining back to the tank. If this valve isn't working properly, it takes a little while for the fuel to get from your tank to the engine, which could easily make it take a couple seconds to start.

The other possibility is if you have an aftermarket alarm. I had a Viper alarm on when I bought my truck (used), and it confused the hell out of me trying to figure out what was wrong. Even when I thought I had found the ignition disable and removed it, it still didn't work. I eventually took it to the dealer, they removed the entire alarm, and I've had no problems since.

Good luck!
I'm not sure if the fuel filter was done at 30,000 miles or not. May need to do that. And the alarm is factory toyota, bought from a toyota dealer, and installed by a toyota dealer, so that shouldn't be it. It took like 20 or more seconds to start it yesterday. Which isn't normal.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
Try whacking the starter. You may wanna replace the plugs and wires. I don't know if it would be a fuel filter or fuel pump at 45k miles, but it could be. Lots of different possibilities. Mine does that off and on. I will be looking at terminals and replacing the plugs and wores shortly.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
colorado125 said:

page 7 tech section look at the thread "tsb on cranking time". Obscurotron posted a link to the recently released tsb on this problem. Here it is again
http://stuff.arxsystems.net/ look at the tsb.pdf file. Thank obscurotron for the link.

·
Registered
169 Posts
nees1212 said:
I had the exact same problem this morning with mine. It took about 10 minutes to start. However, mine's a 2.7 with 58k miles. I'm hoping this was just a one time instance. It started fine last night when I pulled it partially in the garage to work on it.
Had same problem with my 3.4, it is a very common problem on import vehicles. The spark plugs get fouled when you start it for a short period of time, as I am assuming you did when you pulled it partially into the garage. I would replace the plugs.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
knoxtaco said:
page 7 tech section look at the thread "tsb on cranking time". Obscurotron posted a link to the recently released tsb on this problem. Here it is again
http://stuff.arxsystems.net/ look at the tsb.pdf file. Thank obscurotron for the link.
Thats the nice part, its 2003-2004 years. And dont think they'll do anything for me on a 2002. :banghead:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts