TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting a set of these (265/75/16) on my stock wheels. The max pressure on the tire is twice what it is on the stock ones. Do i still run the factory recomended pressure in them? Thanks

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Tire pressure is determined by the vehicle, not the tire. Look on your door jamb for inflation info.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
lunarmist02 said:
Im putting a set of these (265/75/16) on my stock wheels. The max pressure on the tire is twice what it is on the stock ones. Do i still run the factory recomended pressure in them? Thanks
use the max psi that still allows you an even contact patch across the width of the tread with the road. too much air and the centers wear out; too little and the edges wear out. Either over or under inflated and your handling will suck at best and be dangerous at worst.

search: 'chalk test'

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have the same size tires (not trXus tires however, although I have had them) and run between 32-35 psi. The factory rating of 28 psi just doesn't seem right. It might have been okay for the factory P265/70/16 Rugged Trails, but now that I have LT265/75/16 tires, they need more air. I have had very consistent tread wear at that pressure.

Like everyone says, do the chalk test to truly determine the correct psi.

·
Registered
951 Posts
there is another qick way of getting the right tire pressure as well. Drive your truck for 15 minutes or so and then lay your hand across the tread. A perfectly inflated tire will be the same tempureature all the way across the footprint. If it is colder on the edges, it is overinflated, hotter on the edges, underinflated. I run 27psi on my 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, and it seems to be just right. And don't forget to rotate every 3k mi. it will really make a difference in the lifespan of the tire.

Boheefus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts