Votes: 33 67.3%
  • Interco TrXus MT

Votes: 16 32.7%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my Toytec 2.5" lift and think I am going to go with 285/75R16's. I have narrowed it down to either Maxxis Big Horns or Trxus M/T's. The Trxus are $163 and the Big Horns are $145. Anyone have any opinions about these tires, good or bad? Has anyone had experience with both? I appreciate the input!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the Trxus better, but i know a friend that is running them on his Z71 right now, and the vibration b/t 5-15mph is horrible. But for M/T that tire will be better then the big horn.

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

The intercos would only last 10000 -15000 miles max at least for me. The Maxxis will last a long time, if maintained right. If you have the toytec 2.5 I would run the same tires as I did, 255/85/16 BFG MT. Little rub and taller than the 285/75/16 by like an inch and a half. Here is a right up.
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/bfg_mt_km.html

·
Registered
521 Posts
H

Here are some shots of the tires I speak of. They look small but they are huge, make my old 31s look like doughnuts. And yes I know my rims are all chunked up from crawling last weekend.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was looking at both of these tires. Both look good. I went with the Bighorns because I can get them at a local shop without having to pay a freight charge. Also, I couldn't see the Trxus being so much better to justify the price difference, but I could be wrong without any first hand experience. I got 4 35x12.50-15's mounted and balanced for $616.36. So far I am happy with them.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
255/85 33.4x10 maxxis bighorns. I've since put 1 1/16" wheelspacers on. Nails the pinch pretty well, and i haven't clearanced the fenders yet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

Yeah I have 2 inch spacers but I took a sawzall and a grinder to the fenders so it turned out nice overall. Nice looking truck. The ARB bumper is sick. Next on the list for me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I like my Bighorns, the tread is a little more open too. I think they would clean out better than the Trxus Mt's plus they are a better deal$$$.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i hear the truxus have blow out problems at highway speeds.

if your lookin for just mud, go with a buckshot, the bighorn is the same as a goodyear mtr, and we all know how awesome those are for rocks, but arent so good in slick mud

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
i hear the truxus have blow out problems at highway speeds.
Where did you hear that?? That's a first for me.
I love my TRXUS and know plenty more that do as well. I have yet to find a terrain they don't like and I wheel just about every one there is. The Tennessee wheeling has just about every combination out there, rock, mud, hard pack and everything in between. :2cents: :2cents:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
isnt the truxxus a radial? If so, then why only 15K miles outa em?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I keep hearing that the Bighorn is like the GY MTR. They are similar but so are all MT's. The bighorns are more open and if you look closer long enough you'll see more differences. But to me they shed mud better than the MTR's. I run mine in Bama, each ride is mud, rocks, trail. Basically everything but sand.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The Trxus M/Ts rock! I have the 255/85/16 on my truck that just got sold. I put atleast 15-20k on them and had half tread let. I was doing 320 mile round trip on the interstate everyweekend plus the driving I would do when i got home. I never had any issues with vibes or anything. I love them off road too. Best M/T ive had experience with. Matter of fact im probably going to put them on my new truck. (New Tacoma or Dodge 2500 Cummins).

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
The Trxus M/Ts rock! I have the 255/85/16 on my truck that just got sold. I put atleast 15-20k on them and had half tread let. I was doing 320 mile round trip on the interstate everyweekend plus the driving I would do when i got home. I never had any issues with vibes or anything. I love them off road too. Best M/T ive had experience with. Matter of fact im probably going to put them on my new truck. (New Tacoma or Dodge 2500 Cummins).
i thought so...

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

It really depends on where and how you drive. I drive rough and live in Arizona so any Interco would last me 15k at tops, just because of the heat and abuse. They are soft as shit, you can bend the lugs with your fingers or at least I can.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well i was not easy on those tires as I drove my truck very hard on road and off. I dont have the desert but I do have the woods with stumps and roots clawing at my tires. And these are not anything like the Swampers. These are a M/T not a swamper for the road. I would like to see just how you would kill these tires in 15k. Have you had them and killed them? I was very pleased with them. They were super tough and lasted and held up to my beating. Hell I didnt even rotate them like I should and still never had any prblems and they still lasted as long as they did. But thats just me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
At first I didnt like my Trxus m/t's but since I've found the correct air pressure, thanks to members of this forum, I like them a lot more, they are far better on the rocks than any other m/t, but they really dont clean out well, and they dont balance well either, those are my only complaints, they're pretty tough and they ride well on the road, except for the wobble you get at 45-55 mph from the tires not being balanced

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

I am from NC and I understand where you are coming from. My BFG all terrains that are warrantied for 50 k wore out in 20 k. I am really hard on them, escpecially when crawling. The only thing I am trying to say is they have a really soft compound hence the MT. Here is my new set.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I wouldn't buy either. Cooper STT's much better

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

Yeah I considered them but BFG gave me a 200 dollar discount for the AT's going up before warranty so I got my new 255/85/16 MT set for 480 mounted and balanced, not bad to me. Those look like good tires.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts