TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got the engine ground tsb done on my truck cause i was having a hard time getting it to start. after waiting a month for the part, and a day without my truck while they install it, it didnt help. i have 6000 miles on my truck and they dont know what the problem is. :mad:

sometimes when i go to start it, it cranks and cranks and cranks liek it isnt getting any gas, then after about 5 seconds of straight cranking, it fires up. its embarassing.

also, my damn seatbelt is still clicking when i move. i had them replace the reciever, and it didnt fix it. does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
110 Posts
playaz0429 said:
So i got the engine ground tsb done on my truck cause i was having a hard time getting it to start. after waiting a month for the part, and a day without my truck while they install it, it didnt help. i have 6000 miles on my truck and they dont know what the problem is. :mad:

sometimes when i go to start it, it cranks and cranks and cranks liek it isnt getting any gas, then after about 5 seconds of straight cranking, it fires up. its embarassing.

also, my damn seatbelt is still clicking when i move. i had them replace the reciever, and it didnt fix it. does anyone have any suggestions?
to fix the seatbelt just turn up the radio...j/k. my 99' did it too, i dont think there is a way to fix it. my new 04' doesn't do it though...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think they did the wrong TSB. There is also a TSB that calls for replacing the fuel suction tube assembly in the gas tank. I have the problem from time to time, but it's not worth my while to let them screw up my truck for something that 2 extra seconds of cranking fixes. FWIW.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had both tsb's on my 04 double cab and it is still not fixed. Truck currently at dealer and they are trying to track down problem. We have a pretty good thread going on this in the toyotanation forum. Dealer has been able to reproduce problem and are really scratching their heads on this one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
playaz0429 said:

I would bring it back in and continue to do it until I was satisfied with the outcome. Remember to document all pertinent conversations, decisions and "promises" with names, dates and titles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KenRiceHilo said:
I would bring it back in and continue to do it until I was satisfied with the outcome.
unlike my acura, toyota doesnt give rentals, its a pain in the ass to be without a truck for a day.

·
Registered
984 Posts
playaz0429 said:
where is this tsb?? it does seem like a fuel problem.
FYI: There's a 3.4L hard cranking thread at Toyota Nation:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t67063.html

In it one participant writes:

"The second tsb is EGO52-04 the dec 22 one which replaces the R&R Fuel Suction Tube Sub-Assembly. Supposedly the newer assembly extends deeper into the gas tank."

This refers to a listed December 22 2004 TSB which none of us has had any luck digging up info on....

·
Registered
297 Posts
playaz0429 said:
unlike my acura, toyota doesnt give rentals, its a pain in the ass to be without a truck for a day.
Not true. If your truck is in for warranty work, you should get one. I sure did and it was at the crappiest dealership in the world..... Ventura Toyota. Only took it there once and never again.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was the one on toyotanation talking about the second tsb. It supposedly also helps the fuel tank maintain better pressure. I did notice after having the part changed that when I took the cap off the fuel tank it did release some pressure which I never noticed before, but it did not solve my problem. Maybe someday toyota will really figure out what the true problem is instead of these bandaid fixes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also I must have complained to right person because toyota gave me a free rental and they have had my truck for three days now, trying to decide what the problem is.

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
benjaminoakes said:
Also I must have complained to right person because toyota gave me a free rental and they have had my truck for three days now, trying to decide what the problem is.
I have the exact same problem with mine! I have had both TSB's done and the problem is still not fixed. It did seem to get better with the fuel suction tube one (I had that one done second), but it still does it on occasion. It is pretty embarrasing to have a truck with 9000 miles on it not start!
FYI mine started doing this within 500 miles (I bought mine new). I have had it to the dealer 3 times now. The first time they told me the battery had a bad cell and replaced the battery. The second time in, about 8 months later, they found the TSB for the harness and ground relocate and perfomed that service. Then the last time they did the gas tank suction tube TSB. I thought they might have fixed it with that one, because it did not do it again for 2 months. Let me know what your dealer finds will you?
Bill
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
playaz0429 said:

Do you have 5 sp or auto? Just curious...I have simliar a problem. I had the wiring harness replace.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
benjaminoakes said:
I have had both tsb's on my 04 double cab and it is still not fixed. Truck currently at dealer and they are trying to track down problem. We have a pretty good thread going on this in the toyotanation forum. Dealer has been able to reproduce problem and are really scratching their heads on this one.

Keep us updated with your problem. I have a 03. I thought it was my fuel kit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My truck has been at the dealer since tuesday. The tech there thinks that there is a problem with the way the starter and crank shaft sensor are grounded. He ordered a new crank shaft sensor and wanted to change some of the wiring. He spoke with toyota who gave him the go ahead. Tech said if this works to let him know, he thinks they should make it a new tsb. He feels there is too much interference in wiring when trying to start truck???...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have an auto. my dealership wont do free loaners, it sucks. they have a transport service thatll bring me to the bus.

i hope we find out what really is the problem, cause id hate this to be a bad problem after the warranty is up.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
There was quite a long thread about this on the old board. Mine used to do it when I only had a few thousand miles on the truck, but grew out of it. My cousin who was a recall engineer at Toyota at the time hadn't heard of the problem, but guessed it was a low pressure condition in the fuel rails. He had mentioned a similar problem with the Corolla (I think), that was attributed to that same condition.

Who knows if his guess is right or not, he's at GM now, so I can't pick his brain about what they're thinking in the egghead section of Toyota.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hope someone figures it out. It gets embarassing when you go to start your truck and it just cranks, people just kind of stare at you. Besides that, I don't want the warranty to run out and have this turn into something major.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
benjaminoakes said:
I hope someone figures it out. It gets embarassing when you go to start your truck and it just cranks, people just kind of stare at you. Besides that, I don't want the warranty to run out and have this turn into something major.
That really sounds like it's not getting any fuel. Does it start at all at first, and then stall, or just keep start cranking and never stop. Maybe something with the EFI?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It just cranks for about 10 seconds then starts. I suggested that it maybe wasn't getting fuel to the dealer but they checked the pressures and everything seemed to be in spec. I just got my truck back today. They changed the crank shaft sensor and am not sure what else. The tech felt there was interference in the wiring for the sensor therefore causing the problems. They didn't finish my paper work yet because they were adding the rental car and all that to the final write up. I will keep you updated if that works as well as the dealer.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts