TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 Tacoma V6 that occassionally will crank and crank and crank and then crank some more before it finally starts. It usually happens after it sits 2-3 hours after being driven. I am wondering how many of you have this problem and who has had Toyota perform the TSB to fix the problem.

I don't want to do it if it doesn't fix it...it seems like I everytime I have the dealership do something, it doesn't come back right.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The only time my 2000 ever cranks a little long is after making several short trips in a row and shutting it off.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
TacomaD said:
I have an '03 Tacoma V6 that occassionally will crank and crank and crank and then crank some more before it finally starts. It usually happens after it sits 2-3 hours after being driven. I am wondering how many of you have this problem and who has had Toyota perform the TSB to fix the problem.

I don't want to do it if it doesn't fix it...it seems like I everytime I have the dealership do something, it doesn't come back right.

Thanks...
I just checked alldata at the shop and it doesnt have any tsb for this problem listed. If the problem is easily duplicated by driving till hot then sitting for 2-3 hrs you should be able to check and see if there is any spark,fuel pressure, injector pulse etc. If this just randomly happens it is gonna be a bitch to track down what is causing it. I would stop by the dealer and talk to the service dept and see if they have any others with the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for hosting this. Has anyone had the dealership do this yet?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the tsb performed on my 04 double cab which seemed to help, but my truck was having the extended cranking on a daily basis and the dealer had an easy time reproducing problem. Now I only have the problem every 1-2 weeks. At my last oil change I mentioned this to the service tech and unable to find anything else wrong and unable to duplicate problem :confused: .
Ben

·
Registered
479 Posts
Like I said in the post above, I did the "Big 3" wire upgrade and haven't had the hard crank problem come back once now; even on very cold mornings. I have had this done for about 1-1.5 months now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like the TSB has been out for a couple of months now. The dealership told me I didn't have to reproduce it--they would fix it as per the TSB. Actually, they said "Yup, we can fix it.." Anytime I get it back from them however it seems like it's in worse shape. After the last oil change, only four of the eight or ten bolts were put back in the skid plates. The rear one was literally hanging there.

Maybe I'll just wait until it doesn't start, or does it more frequently. When I say long crank time, I mean long. It takes 20-30 seconds of cranking before it comes to life but it only happens about once every couple of months.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took my truck back in for the cranking problem after it happened to me twice in one day. I called the the 1-800 in the manual to complain directly to toyota. My dealership called me and had it in today and there was another tsb released 12/22/04 to replace the R&R Fuel Suction Tube Sub-assembly (EG052-04). Goes back next week to get part replaced. TSB states only for 04 tacoma and tundra. Hopefully this will take care of the problem, the other tsb was to relocate ground wire(EG042-04). I would beef up the wiring as mentioned above but the truck only has 4500 miles on, so I don't want to mess up the warranty.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The big 3 upgrade doesn't actually take away or modify any of the stock wires. It just adds some. If I was really worried about a warranty claim, I would just take the wires off and drive up to the dealer. Just some simple nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
TacomaD said:

Thanks...

Anyone still have this intermittent hard starting problem even with TSB done?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
TacomaD said:

Thanks...
I actually had this problem right after I bought the truck (less than 300 miles). I took it in and they couldn't reproduce it. When I put in aftermarket stereo components I replaced the 'big 3' and the problem has yet to return in 2 years now.

Super....I used some leftover 4 guage stereo/amp power wire. I didn't have much of the black, as the runs were short, so I just black taped the red for the grounds. Since, I have replaced the engine to chassis ground with a flat copper cable (2") w/silicone coating. Works well, and I reused the factory bolts, but cleaned the paint away from the mounting surface, attached the wire, then coated with silicone to ward off corrosion.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
boylem002 said:
I actually had this problem right after I bought the truck (less than 300 miles). I took it in and they couldn't reproduce it. When I put in aftermarket stereo components I replaced the 'big 3' and the problem has yet to return in 2 years now.

Super....I used some leftover 4 guage stereo/amp power wire. I didn't have much of the black, as the runs were short, so I just black taped the red for the grounds. Since, I have replaced the engine to chassis ground with a flat copper cable (2") w/silicone coating. Works well, and I reused the factory bolts, but cleaned the paint away from the mounting surface, attached the wire, then coated with silicone to ward off corrosion.

Thanks. Did you know notice your truck doing this during cold or warms starts? Thanks for the heads up on the wire. You actually replace the factory wires? The write up said to add it to factory wires. Don't know if that will make a difference.

I'm guessing that you never actually had teh TSB done to your truck?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Super Doody said:
Thanks. Did you know notice your truck doing this during cold or warms starts? Thanks for the heads up on the wire. You actually replace the factory wires? The write up said to add it to factory wires. Don't know if that will make a difference.

I'm guessing that you never actually had teh TSB done to your truck?
No, I've found that the less the dealership touches my truck, the better. In the past, I've gotten my vehicle back from an engine swap-out due to recall and the front wheel wasn't fully tightened, causing major problems (covered, but still a hassle).

In any case, yes I replaced the factory wires because redundancy wasn't necessary. Electricity will take the path of least resistance, and if I was installing better wire, the factory wire would just be pointless anyway. The only reason to leave it would be to allow you the ability to return to stock for service or something. I did keep the factory wires, though (yet another clutter item I should just throw away!) in case I do have some sort of issue and want them to see the stock stuff. I do recommend the flat cable, though, it's sturdier.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
boylem002 said:
No, I've found that the less the dealership touches my truck, the better. In the past, I've gotten my vehicle back from an engine swap-out due to recall and the front wheel wasn't fully tightened, causing major problems (covered, but still a hassle).

In any case, yes I replaced the factory wires because redundancy wasn't necessary. Electricity will take the path of least resistance, and if I was installing better wire, the factory wire would just be pointless anyway. The only reason to leave it would be to allow you the ability to return to stock for service or something. I did keep the factory wires, though (yet another clutter item I should just throw away!) in case I do have some sort of issue and want them to see the stock stuff. I do recommend the flat cable, though, it's sturdier.

Last few questions..I promise :D

Did you use a fuse for the wire to altenator? If so what type?
Where can I get some of thsi flat cable? Sorry I'm a kook to electrical stuff. Any pics?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts