TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, 22,000 dead so far, I'd expect that number to be much higher in the next couple of days.

I can't recall the name of the island, but there's a volcanically active island located off the coast of Africa (Elgecko: do you remember?). If there's a powerful enough eruption, or earthquake, a MASSIVE slab of rock is expected to slide off the island and into the ocean causing a tsunami large enough to wipe out the entire eastern seaboard of North America. Would likely wipe out everything from the coast to inland about 60 miles.

·
Rock Vapor
170 Posts
I just saw some footage of the wave in Thailand- all in all it wasnt that massive, but if you were in the wrong place there was a world of hurt waiting for you. A few folks were actually scuba diving when it hit and made it out OK

I saw the documentary on that island and all the water infiltration into the cracks. If that thing goes like they proposed, the whole east coast is way phukt

·
Registered
110 Posts
TMS2U said:
I just saw some footage of the wave in Thailand- all in all it wasnt that massive, but if you were in the wrong place there was a world of hurt waiting for you. A few folks were actually scuba diving when it hit and made it out OK

I saw the documentary on that island and all the water infiltration into the cracks. If that thing goes like they proposed, the whole east coast is way phukt
do you remember the name of the island?

·
Keyser Soze
540 Posts
Unfortunately, this hits pretty close to home. We have a TTORA member who is in Thailand for the holiday's and his plan was to be in the Phuket area. Before he left, he asked me to keep his vacation quiet for security reasons, so I can't say who it is, but he's a regular here on the boards.

When you are reading the news reports, please keep your fingers crossed that he is okay, I haven't seen his name on any of the lists, so I am hoping that is a good sign.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Icepuck72 said:
Amazing....I just heard that one of the islands shifted 100 meters southwest....
A result of the earthquake rather than the wave. Tsunamis do pack a punch though. 100 m is still a huge displacement for an earthquake!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
mudferret said:
Wow, 22,000 dead so far, I'd expect that number to be much higher in the next couple of days.

I can't recall the name of the island, but there's a volcanically active island located off the coast of Africa (Elgecko: do you remember?). If there's a powerful enough eruption, or earthquake, a MASSIVE slab of rock is expected to slide off the island and into the ocean causing a tsunami large enough to wipe out the entire eastern seaboard of North America. Would likely wipe out everything from the coast to inland about 60 miles.
La Palma in the Canary Islands

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami_qanda.shtml

I cheated though :D . Tragedy not withstanding, The earth can truly unleash some serious shit on grand levels. I've heard estimates of 9.0 in magnitude...that is insanely powerful!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
mudferret said:

I saw something on TLC or discovery about that. Elgecko sounds familiar

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
grumpy said:
I saw something on TLC or discovery about that. Elgecko sounds familiar

LOL!! Mudferret was asking another member, whose screen name is Elgecko, if he could remember the name of the island. See post #12 in this thread.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
synovus said:
LOL!! Mudferret was asking another member, whose screen name is Elgecko, if he could remember the name of the island. See post #12 in this thread.
well I just wanted to show off my intelligence-or lack there of-hehe
I knew that name sounded familiar.

holds head low as goes to corner with dunce cap on!!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
TMS2U said:
Same thing on the west coast if a portion of Hawaii falls into the sea...we're fawked.

And the really sad thing is we would have lots of warning on either coast, and I'll bet 100's - 1,000's of people will GO to the beach to watch the thing come in :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
14 Participants
WATRD
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing