TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gettng ready to do a tube bed on my project Taco and I'm looking for ideas. Trying to decide what length bed to do and where to chop the frame. Leaf hangars won't be a problem, since I'm doing a 4 link rear. I need to have room for a tool box and a spare. I'd also like roll bars, possibly with the spare mounted up on them. I'm trying to keep the truck street legal, and in Ohio that means some sort of fenders covering the tires. Post up your pics, designs, ideas please.....This is what I'm working with:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you're doing a 4-link, chop the frame at the rear body mounts and back-half it. I like the new ballistic fab taco, but the back-half is a little extreme. If all you're worried about is mud flaps, that's easy. Build what you want, then add some flaps. Check out pirates tacoma and truck sections, there's lots of tube beds floating around.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine doesn't really fit the description of what you want, but here are some pics of it anyway:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also probably not what your looking for but here's mine...

Later
Joel
Joel,

I've seen your before, and it looks VERY close to what I'm looking for. I like the way that you brought the wheel covers up at an angle. I also like the hi-lift mount. It could be easily adapted to mount the spare on the uprights, if that's what I decide to do, I'm just not sure yet. Do you have any more pics or even info on it? If you have any drawings or dimensions, that would be awesome.

BeaterToyota said:
Mine doesn't really fit the description of what you want, but here are some pics of it anyway:
Yeah, not really what I'm looking for, but it's a nice simple design. Thanks for the reply.

AggieTaco said:
If you're doing a 4-link, chop the frame at the rear body mounts and back-half it. I like the new ballistic fab taco, but the back-half is a little extreme. If all you're worried about is mud flaps, that's easy. Build what you want, then add some flaps. Check out pirates tacoma and truck sections, there's lots of tube beds floating around.
Yeah, I was thinking of back halving it, just for the added strength. I'm just wondering how much I can get away with without being harassed by the police up here. On my D/D my tires stick out about 3", I have no rear bumper, just a hitch reciever (I'm fabbing one up out of 3x5x1/4" square tube), and my license plate light is just zip tied next to my plate, and they don't harass me about it, so I may just see how much I can push it. I agree that the Ballistic truck is SICK, but that it's a little extreme, especially if I need to drive it on the street to events & such. Thanks for the advice, and I'll check out Pirate too.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a whole lot of info, but I do have more pics... what exactly are you looking too see?
Trying to get an idea of dimensions, bends, etc. I haven't done much tube bending, so I don't want to waste a bunch of tubing trying to get it right....LOL

Also, how is it mounted to the frame? Is it welded directly to the frame, does it use the existing mounting tabs, or did you make custom mounts?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
just for shits and giggles here is mines...

I got this from pirate...

And with my mad paint skills came up with this...

Ignore the key its not all right, most of it will be tube and just the bed structure will be square tube.

EDIT:: This is for a leaf sprung truck, im sure with a little tinkering you could dovetail the rear.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, thanks Son of Mayhem. I 've been playing around with bendtech, but I only have a demo version so it sucks. Its doesn't have any material definitions in it. I've thought about dovetailing the rear, but I'll probably just keep it full width. I'll just cut down the length a little bit. Not sure where though yet. One thing that I forgot about is that I need room for a fuel cell too, since I'm doing a triangulated 4 link, the gas tank has to go.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Trying to get an idea of dimensions, bends, etc. I haven't done much tube bending, so I don't want to waste a bunch of tubing trying to get it right....LOL

Also, how is it mounted to the frame? Is it welded directly to the frame, does it use the existing mounting tabs, or did you make custom mounts?
When I built mine, I started from the bottom an worked my way up and kinda let it build itself... I had something of an idea but that was nothing like it turned out...dimensions are self explanatory, about 1/2" wider than the cab both sides and as short as you can get it :D . I attached to the stock perches via bolt on mounts and hard welded the front and the back... The main reason for this was for ease of build. I will probably eventually cut the perches and weld it all hard...

Later
Joel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts