TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to begin my research I checked out a few websites which sell tube benders. I haven't really absorbed everything quite yet...mainly due to the fact that some of the terminology is new to me ( in terms of the bender itself ). All I really need is a bender to handle the "do it yourself" projects when it comes to fabricating bumpers and other small armor projects for my yota. And maybe other small brackets or custom do-dads for the truck...ya know. I would assume I would need something that can handle up to and including 2" (at least)...right?

Haven't really set a budget yet mainly because I haven't really decided what I need and what would be overkill. Do I really need a hydraulic bender?

Any help would be great in terms of brand and capabilities that would suit my needs. Keep in mind it's just for my home garage and I will not be turning out multiple projects for customers.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
JD Squared, model 3. Get 2 or 3 dies, you will be in for about $800. Say a 1" die, a 1.5", and a 1.75" or 2". You can manual bend 2" 4130 with a .188 wall, with great manual labor, or a good extension bar. You would need nothing else heavier than that, ever.

The bender is proven, simple, and easy to use. It gives great results. Find them used on Dezertrangers, here, etc.

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
Pro-Tools or JD2 bender. Spring for the heavy duty arms, and the larger degree dies.

Add a swag offroad or copperhead fab bender kit to mount a air-driven Harbor freight ram.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Protools Model 105HD would be my vote.... because I use one all the time. Tough, simple and affordable bender.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
HF bender would be least expensive. But the biggest pain in the ass to use. Dies included are pipe sizes. Remember pipe is the easiest to get and is good for bumpers and sliders. Most would say not cages but that's up to you. You can get tube in pipe OD's though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just to clarify, even if you get tube in pipe dimensions. The profile of the dies are different for pipe and tube. A pipe die will distort tube. Pipe dies are typically the same profile of the pipe, tube dies have a different profile than the tube they are bending. Pipe is weak and yields more weight and half the strength. Don't make a roll cage from pipe, it is used to carry poop. HF benders are crap and weaken whatever they bend.

My 2 cents, from experience.

·
Hawaii's Damage Control
1,026 Posts
Pipe is weak and yields more weight and half the strength. Don't make a roll cage from pipe, it is used to carry poop. HF benders are crap and weaken whatever they bend.

My 2 cents, from experience.
Not trying to start the pipe vs tube argument, but you need to state a material grade before making that statement. For a fact, HREW or CREW and pipe are of the same process and only differ in wall thickness and how they are measured. So if you think of making a cage out of HREW, you might as well save some money and use a good grade structural pipe. :2cents:

The rest I agree with.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not trying to start the pipe vs tube argument, but you need to state a material grade before making that statement. For a fact, HREW or CREW and pipe are of the same process and only differ in wall thickness and how they are measured. So if you think of making a cage out of HREW, you might as well save some money and use a good grade structural pipe. :2cents:

The rest I agree with.
Don't worry I am not gonna argue. If you mean process as melting material down and turning it into a shape, sure i'll play. Pipe, Hrew, Crew are all made a little different way and all three have a different material content. I have been in the steel business for enough time to know the difference. You go ahead and use poop pipe, and i'll not use it.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
@ Mercer
Well, we just upgraded our bending operation. I build and repair amusement rides. I will also build some tube projects for my runner.

@ me_tu05, here you go from PBB, since that seems to be your reference of choice. Thanks Billa

ASTM A-53 Pipe 30K Yield
1020 ERW Tube 40K yield
1020 DOM tube 70k yield
4130 90k yield

It seems your gonna be carrying alot of extra weight to make poop equal to tube.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts