TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so im thinkin about starting my tube bumper finally and i want to put a winch in it at a later date, i plan just to weld it straight on my truck, how much room should i leave for a winch plate? anything i should just watch for? also if anyone is in the pleasanton area and is feelling overly generous and would be willing to let me borrow their bender for a day send me a pm if not ill just do it without bending lol -thanks guys

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
hey guys so im thinkin about starting my tube bumper finally and i want to put a winch in it at a later date, i plan just to weld it straight on my truck, how much room should i leave for a winch plate? anything i should just watch for? also if anyone is in the pleasanton area and is feelling overly generous and would be willing to let me borrow their bender for a day send me a pm if not ill just do it without bending lol -thanks guys
Buy at least the winch mounting plate and then build bumper around it. You will not make it with enough room if you don't. I have to remove my grille to get my winch in and out, but I wanted it TIGHT for better approach on steep falls and such.

P.S. find out the type winch your gonna use and its length so you can make sure not to bend it in too soon and the winch is too long to fit in. The mount plate will help with how far out to go, the length will help with when to start brining the front tubes back toward the truck to keep it tucked in tight. If you really want to be sure everything is dialed in perfect, get the winch first and get the plate mounted and winch on it and then build bumper around it. That's what I did.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
If you know you're going to be putting a winch on it, you should build it with the winch plate. Especially if you're welding the bumper to the frame. Budbuilt makes a good, inexpensive winch plate, and with it (or something similar) you could build the rest of your bumper around that, and know that winch will fit when you get it.

Also, I think Warn (or maybe Milemarker) has detailed dimension specs on their site for all their winches. That'd give you the best idea of how to build for the future winch.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
good idea thanks guys, ok so the budbuilt plate is about 32"x10" give or take the biggest one they have, so if a plate that big fits in i should have enought room lol, i figure if i bring it out about 10" then start the stinger i should have enough room and if not i can just chop the grill and move it up higher :)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
start out by building something like this
http://www.trail-gear.com/toy-bumper.html

Just using the above link as an example- Not an endorsement .
damn thats a great idea to bad im hella impatient and dont want to spend $130 lol but damn thats like just what i need lol oh well ill just make it :) ok im about to start meltin metel wish me luck lol (oh yea not useing a bender) LOL ill take pics once i get something finished

·
Registered
7 Posts
Be careful if your just going to weld it to the frame, I just made brackets for a jeep TJ out of 1/4" thick angle iron bolted to the frame horns, then mounted the winch plate on top of the brackets with the upper bumper tabs sandwiched between the winch plate and brackets, then made lower brackets out of 1/8" flat stock for the bottom bumper mounts, its pretty solid and removable if you ever want to sell your ride without all your stuff on it...

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
What the hell. . .

Here's my stuff:

When we built my bumper (BUMP for 4XInnovations) we looked at Warn's, Mile Marker's, and Superwinch's sites - they post full schematics of all their winches. The way we built my bumper, I can pretty much accomodate any winch I want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts