TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research on tube doors and half doors. First question would be is it breaking any laws in Georgia to have tube doors/half doors/no doors?

Secondly, does anybody have any good ideas for half doors. The only half doors I was able to find pictures of had big chunks cut out of them. I was thinking about something kind of like a jeep door instead. Something flat along the top that looked good and still was able to keep the speakers in the factory location.

The main reason I'm asking this is to get more air flow through the cab on these nice spring days and the hot summer days to come (other then blasting the AC).

Any help and information is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Well for legal issues. You are legally supposed to have 3 inches of body on the sides where the opening on the door is, if the door is off. So junk doesnt fall out and cause a problem or whatever. Half doors are legal to my knowledge, as for ideas.... Look for the thread awhile ago about marshals 82, he had some sick sick sick half doors he made for his. Like wow.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any chance I can get some help finding that thread you're talking about? I just spent the last 90 minutes of my life looking for it. Maybe I'm stupid, but I did all the searches I could think of and couldn't find a dang thing.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I appreciate it. No wonder I couldn't find it, I search for Marshall 82, and then I went and looked through all of Marshalls posts between Jan. of '06 and June of '06 (read where he was talking about just finishing his doors around March of '06).

Looks pretty good, any ideas on how to maybe get it lower (8" high maybe) and thinner on the sides (maybe 4"?)? Man though, that truck is cleaner then my OCD friends house.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ol' Scott said:
Thanks, I appreciate it. No wonder I couldn't find it, I search for Marshall 82, and then I went and looked through all of Marshalls posts between Jan. of '06 and June of '06 (read where he was talking about just finishing his doors around March of '06).

Looks pretty good, any ideas on how to maybe get it lower (8" high maybe) and thinner on the sides (maybe 4"?)? Man though, that truck is cleaner then my OCD friends house.
Well, I'm glad you like them. At the time my dad and I did them, I was out of money and waiting for other parts so we spent a ton of time on them. We figure that we have close to 60-70 hours in those doors and it's going to kill me (maybe my dad more) when I tear them up! But, there is no bondo in those, we just ground/filed down the welds and that took a lot of time.

You could of course cut them lower, as low as you like. But, to get them thinner would be a huge pain as you would essentially have to pinch in the inside in order to make them thinner. Mine are probably about 4-5 inches wide at the top of them. But, by going lower, you should be able to decrease that distance since the doors go in at the bottom anyways.

If I can be of any help, let me know!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. I guess I wasn't clear, when I ment thinner I ment on the sides near the door latch. What is the best way to grind/weld the top of the door to make it flat?

Also, anybody know of anybody who welded some sheet metal or the skin of a door to tube doors?

Thanks again for all the help, always appreciated.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ol' Scott said:
Thanks for the help. I guess I wasn't clear, when I ment thinner I ment on the sides near the door latch. What is the best way to grind/weld the top of the door to make it flat?

Also, anybody know of anybody who welded some sheet metal or the skin of a door to tube doors?

Thanks again for all the help, always appreciated.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
My buddy brandon also has a set of half doors:

So does Stromper(King James) here:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No worries, looking at the pictures again I think I got the answer to my question on narrowing the sides.

What type of sheet metal did you weld on the top of the door where your cup holder is.

Also Roach, thanks for the pictures, the first one is a lot like what I"m looking for. Also, a little late, but congrads on the engagement.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Brandons doors! Tellico!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
A better pic of mine. From the side anyhow.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
looks like a good shot of a carseat! :) (oooohhhhh, you got the devil post)
-daniel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts