TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a tube front bumper for my 02 D-Cab. I don't do a lot of rock crawling, but a little romp in the desert is always fun. So here's the question- what is the practical difference between a tube front bumper that requires complete removal off the OEM bumper (like Badland or Demello), and one that allows you to keep most of the OEM bumper (like the ones CBI Offroad makes). I would think that your approach angle could be more aggressive with the ones that require full front OEM bumper removal but maybe I'm dreaming. And I like the looks of keeping part of the OEM bumper more, but besides that, I can think of no other advantages. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
you'll get a way better approach angle if you get rid of the oem peice of plastic they call a bumper

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well,If you are'nt a big time off roader,and don't need the better approach angle,or you dont ever plan on getting a winch,you would probalbly be better off getting the style that goes on with the stock bumper,because it will still maintain the factory look with a bit of off road look,and you can throw some off road lights on it. Really depends on your taste,or needs.

·
I think I remember where Moab is?
1,227 Posts
BigBro said:
I am thinking about getting a tube front bumper for my 02 D-Cab. I don't do a lot of rock crawling, but a little romp in the desert is always fun. So here's the question- what is the practical difference between a tube front bumper that requires complete removal off the OEM bumper (like Badland or Demello), and one that allows you to keep most of the OEM bumper (like the ones CBI Offroad makes). I would think that your approach angle could be more aggressive with the ones that require full front OEM bumper removal but maybe I'm dreaming. And I like the looks of keeping part of the OEM bumper more, but besides that, I can think of no other advantages. What does everyone think?
You will get a much better approach angle if you junk the factory tupperware. I only kept mine cause I thought that it would look kinda cool to keep the factory and just have something over it protect it and my wife hated the open look of just a tube bumper. Steve has only build a few of the ones that go over the stock tupperware and most of them recently have been just tube and open. I think that I have my wife convinced that that looks pretty good now too so when I do my exo cage I am going to have Steve at CBI redo my front bumper with just the tube and get a better approach angle and open it up. I am hoping with it being opened up that it will make my truck look big again. Not sure though, I think the trick to that one is to get Jimmy and Dan to quit parking their SAS'ed taco's next to me...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mr.trd said:
You will get a much better approach angle if you junk the factory tupperware. I only kept mine cause I thought that it would look kinda cool to keep the factory and just have something over it protect it and my wife hated the open look of just a tube bumper. Steve has only build a few of the ones that go over the stock tupperware and most of them recently have been just tube and open. I think that I have my wife convinced that that looks pretty good now too so when I do my exo cage I am going to have Steve at CBI redo my front bumper with just the tube and get a better approach angle and open it up. I am hoping with it being opened up that it will make my truck look big again. Not sure though, I think the trick to that one is to get Jimmy and Dan to quit parking their SAS'ed taco's next to me...
I hear ya. I think that some of the open ones don't look that great, but I think Steve does great work. I just don't see a lot of open ones on his website yet, so I'm not too sure what to expect. If I go with an open one, I think I have to do the turn signal mod too, correct? If so, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I went with tube for a few reasons:
  1. I'd trashed the valence a few times, and then I finally crunched the rest of the bumper,
  2. wanted something that tucked up nice and high and tight, for a better approach angle,
  3. I got free tube, and a killer deal on the welding,
  4. I'm a sucker for tube, and it allowed for a simple design that didn't involve tons of fabbing.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
BigBro said:
I hear ya. I think that some of the open ones don't look that great, but I think Steve does great work. I just don't see a lot of open ones on his website yet, so I'm not too sure what to expect. If I go with an open one, I think I have to do the turn signal mod too, correct? If so, it's no big deal.
heres some pics of mine:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
drabnor said:
heres some pics of mine:

Thanks for the pics. I've been checking out a few other posts with lots of pics in them, but I don't think I had seen yours before now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
what's the little tube for on the right side of the bumper that doesn't have a mirrored one on the left side?

·
Registered
337 Posts
BigBro said:
Hello,after market turn signal lights can be mounted in the bumper if you choose, you don't have to do the mod if you don't want, you can also send me some pics or drawings of what you like and I can build from that so you know what your getting, I'm easy to work with :D

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
BigBro said:
With a full replacement you usally get more clearence, better approach angle and you save a little weight.

If you have any questions about our bumpers feel free to e-mail or call.

Jason

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
sjvicker said:
what's the little tube for on the right side of the bumper that doesn't have a mirrored one on the left side?
lol its a ghetto cold air intake

·
Registered
296 Posts
And here I was thinking it was a pitot tube so you could tell how fast you were going when you were flying through the air. Or possiblly for the new big sport of truck jousting and that's where you held the poll.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts