TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys heres the pics of todays work 25ft. of 1/8in wall x 1.5in. tubeing if i remember correctly, check it out (NOT FINISHED YET) any ideas/sugestions welcome :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
definatley need a bender. nice smiley face on the hood

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
oh and the open tubes look hella janky are going to be caped by a slivers from excess tubes so it will fit flush with the other tube (kinda like a slice of an orange)

ps thats my friend with the crazy hair not me lol

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
I honestly think you just wasted a whole bunch of tube, man. That looks downright horrible. Not that looks really matter on a beater rig, but still... you could have a much stronger bumper if you'd just waited and done it right instead of throwing that mess together. If you don't have the tools (such as a bender) to do something properly, then find someone who does and enlist their help. Sorry to be so blunt, but seriously, the next time you get an idea to do something like that, don't.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
ok guys heres the pics of todays work 25ft. of 1/8in wall x 1.5in. tubeing if i remember correctly, check it out (NOT FINISHED YET) any ideas/sugestions welcome :)

Well, you asked for suggestions, so here it is . . cut it off throw the tube in the scrap pile and start over.

Tim

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damn harsh! lol well i think it will look alot better when its finished. i kinda like the way it looks,(better in person i guess) i think when i finish up the ends it will bring it all together

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm not gonna slam ya, you've already got enough of that, so I'll offer some support: It's definitely unique and if you like it, who gives a shit what everyone else thinks. You're building YOUR rig to the way YOU want it. This is fawking burger king, and yes, you can have it your way!

I will offer some constructive criticism though. From my experience with starting a stinger bumper, a super tall, competition stinger sounds sweet in theory but once it was on the truck and I drove with it for 3 months, it really annoyed the hell outta me. Not only that but it made everything seem out of proportion. You may like it though, and thus, don't listen to my bs, do your thing.:welder:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I honestly think you just wasted a whole bunch of tube, man. That looks downright horrible. Not that looks really matter on a beater rig, but still... you could have a much stronger bumper if you'd just waited and done it right instead of throwing that mess together. If you don't have the tools (such as a bender) to do something properly, then find someone who does and enlist their help. Sorry to be so blunt, but seriously, the next time you get an idea to do something like that, don't.
x2.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I dont think it is really that bad. Your joints could certainly be done better but other than that if you dont have a bender that is fine. I wont have one and will be doing a rear bumper soon. There are no requirements on how you have to do your own shit.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I'm no pro...

But that thing you got wrapping around the body... will not do shiat to support that stinger... And the first thing you bump will push that shiat into the body/radiator etc... it's too close to the body... so the body is going to hit as it flexes as well... The 90* cut and weld shiat is not going to be strong enough for anything...

Minimally... get a cheap pipe bender from Harbor Freight... any type of bend it going to be better then what you got going...

It's good that yer trying to learn... But you need to realize... at this point... You've just added a bunch of useless weight to the front end...

Don't give up... Just re-think what you are attempting...

If yer bent on sticking with this mess... You better get a support tube going thru the radiator support and back somewhere to the frame... And scratch that tube work wraping around the body work to the shock hoop :eek:...

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Here are a few suggestions for you. You already got the harbor freight bender suggestion so I will skip that one.

Here is a quick shot of my bumper that I bent with a H.F bender (this was the first thing I ever bent with it by the way)

but if you have a Oxy torch and a brake rotor you can create a bender out of those two items! makes for some really good radius bends! you just need to practice before your final bend. It also takes either two people or a good welding table you can take the tubing down to.

Also make sure and remember your triangluation! a triangle is strong, but 90º angles are weak. One more thing, make sure and notch your joints, even if it is with an angle grinder, your joints need to be fltted together for the strongest joint possible.

Take this constructive and not negatively. But I think you need to cut the tip off and save your two legs. Save as much material as you can and start over. You have a good idea, but the excusion needs some work, Nothing a little practice and thought won't cure though! Good luck, if there is anything anyone can help with, just ask! We are all mostly here to help!

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I some times can be hard on tools, especially when I am either frustrated or tired. That day I was both! What was funny, was that little ujoint in the steering shaft is what broke the vise. Nothing large, nothing heavy, just a little 3" ujoint!

I am really thinking about going to H.F and getting the 20 ton press. It would have saved that vise. But anymore I have pretty much stopped buying things at H.F except for their hydrolic "stuff" and I still have issues with some of it as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
lethal

that thing looks like it's its from death race... careful about mounting it to the shock hoop if you hit something hard enough you could throw a lot of shit out of whack...

1 - 20 of 170 Posts