TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently installed my 5" Tuff Country kit and thought I'd share a bit. First off, it was a total pain in the ass to install since most of it didn't line-up well. It took me about 3.5 days to install, although I've never done one before. That said, I'm happy I did it and the "beefiness" of the parts seems acceptable. I have already installed Downey 1.5" shackles in back and relocated the exhaust above the spring. I plan on buying some 3" Alcan (most-likely) springs in a couple of months when the wallet recovers from this recent expense to replace the lift blocks (so the rear will lower about 1" after the springs). Additionally, I will likely buy some extended brake lines for the front since the stock ones get awefully tight at full-droop. Even further down the road I will likely buy some after-market coil-overs and modify the TC coil-over bracket to be about 2" shorter so I can run the coil-overs at the "normal" 2" setting. I ended up with 305/70R16 Dick Cepek Mud Countrys on American Racing Chamber with Teflon wheels (4.5" backspacing). There is almost NO space between the spindle and tire, so I will be installing 1.25" spacers for that.

That novel said, here's some pics! :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
congrats, it looks good!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
looks great, the TC kit is pretty nice. One word of advice, stay away from the spacers...trust me, they are just bad news.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yeah big spacers are no good.. If you need a little clearance get .25" spacers, and then get the lugnuts that have a .25" extension on the threads, you get a hair more clearance and dont loose any thread purchase. I have to run this set on my winter tires to get my HD chains to clear the upper arm...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
another nice project with the TC.

I really like that kit. Your truck looks great.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

On the spacers, why doesn't everyone like them? I know they add leverage to the wheel which is hard on the bearings. Any other reasons? I ask because I've based my decision on using them on the fact that many people run 3.75" backspaced wheels. Mine are 4.5" backspaced. So the 1.25" spacer will add only 0.5" of leverage over a 3.75" backspaced wheel. Also, they definitely need something. Right now, a piece of paper is about the size of clearance I have. I tried some 1/4" spacers I have, but the wheel studs are too short. So to Autozone I went and got longer ones that would supposedly fit. They knurl wouldn't pull through with my impact though and I don't really want to disassemble to press them. I've heard I could custom order some from Dorman, but I haven't tried that route. I also leaned towards the 1.25" to be sure I clear the frame on tight turns while the coil-over is compressed.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
The rear studs also fit the front, and they are longer. I run them with a .25" spacer and have no issues whatsoever and I wheel the crap out of mine.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
v6samurai86 said:
Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

On the spacers, why doesn't everyone like them? I know they add leverage to the wheel which is hard on the bearings. Any other reasons? I ask because I've based my decision on using them on the fact that many people run 3.75" backspaced wheels. Mine are 4.5" backspaced. So the 1.25" spacer will add only 0.5" of leverage over a 3.75" backspaced wheel. Also, they definitely need something. Right now, a piece of paper is about the size of clearance I have. I tried some 1/4" spacers I have, but the wheel studs are too short. So to Autozone I went and got longer ones that would supposedly fit. They knurl wouldn't pull through with my impact though and I don't really want to disassemble to press them. I've heard I could custom order some from Dorman, but I haven't tried that route. I also leaned towards the 1.25" to be sure I clear the frame on tight turns while the coil-over is compressed.
Get the lug nuts that have an extra .25" sleeve on them, you loose no thread purchase....

One thing with wheel spacers is you have two sets of lugs to keep tight...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Looks real nice. I like the TC kit the best of all the drop bracket lifts. How close to stock are your CV angles after the lift?

If the wheel situation isn't working out why don't you just sell those and buy some that fit correctly?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! After the lift, the CV angles are still very good. About the equivalent to putting the after-market COs at about 1/2" lift, I'd guess cuz the diff-drop bracket is 4" and the spacer above the stock CO is 4.5". They do slope downward slightly toward the wheel instead of being level as when stock.

As for selling the wheels, I am an anal freak who spent forever finding those! :) I really like the way they look and I also just bought them new. I knew I may have an issue with clearance, but took the chance. Other than the additional leverage on the bearings, I don't see any negatives to the spacers. Yes, they could come loose, I suppose, but I don't have any trouble with my other hardware loosening up. So, we'll see how it goes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
v6samurai86
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing