TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Engage lt kit for my 05 taco..now I have the opportunity to get a tundra axle..i really would like to know the length difference between my axle and the tundra..is it going to pretty much match up to the front?

Any input is welcome..

·
Registered
673 Posts
What year Tundra?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Your current rear axle is 65" WMS, T100s and the old old pre 07 tundra axles are 67" wms. At a whopping 1.5" per side difference I wouldn't bother with the swap. Don't know how wide the new tundra axles are but they may be more in the full width range.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well After reading though that article I don't think I will be getting that tundra axle..
I am currently locked from the factory and there would be no way to swap my locker into the tundra axle..plus it really isn't that much wider..based on the article..
Or did I read that incorrectly?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Tundra axle or even better T100 axles helps us older gen Tacomas cuz of our smaller track with ha. For you I would imagine a 9" would be the only way to trully accomplish you goal. That or spacers on ur tundra axle like some have done and are happy with.

As for lockers they make a detroit locker for the tundra axle and a Eaton locker

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well After reading though that article I don't think I will be getting that tundra axle..
I am currently locked from the factory and there would be no way to swap my locker into the tundra axle..plus it really isn't that much wider..based on the article..
Or did I read that incorrectly?
You are right, there isnt a way to get that e locker into the axle. Another problem you may have is that your rear axle probably has speed sensors in the rear axle at the outer bearings. It is a whole new speed sensor that uses a halls effect ring (not the normal metal toothed tone ring). Doing an axle swap without figuring out that speed sensor will mess up your trans shifting with an auto trans. Our truck with the new trans had a LOT of issues and we ended up having to get rid of the trans lockup to stop the problems.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys..i decided to just buy the gears from marlin crawler..and take the hit of paying for install labor..

So..anybody recommend a good cheap place that knows what they are doing?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tundra axle or even better T100 axles helps us older gen Tacomas cuz of our smaller track with ha. For you I would imagine a 9" would be the only way to trully accomplish you goal. That or spacers on ur tundra axle like some have done and are happy with.

As for lockers they make a detroit locker for the tundra axle and a Eaton locker
There is not a 9" wide enough unless you go fabricated housing $$$

·
Registered
758 Posts
I did the swap from Tacoma to T100 and I will say it was a waste of money. If you plan on getting good use out of the truck just do it once and put a 9" in it and be done. I am currently in the process of piecing together a 9" to replace the weak T100.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did the swap from Tacoma to T100 and I will say it was a waste of money. If you plan on getting good use out of the truck just do it once and put a 9" in it and be done. I am currently in the process of piecing together a 9" to replace the weak T100.
I guess it varies, my friend has an econoline 9" with Currie components (35 spline, nodular big bearing, nine plus third, spool, etc.) and he can't keep it from breaking. My oem t100 rear end is still kicking with no problems.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I guess it varies, my friend has an econoline 9" with Currie components (35 spline, nodular big bearing, nine plus third, spool, etc.) and he can't keep it from breaking. My oem t100 rear end is still kicking with no problems.
Brian-
depends on some things there Brian. it could be bent from welding, gears set up wrong, or he could have a lead foot:D
just wanted to point out a few things Brian,
Mike
:D

·
Registered
776 Posts
anyone have any expirence with the diamond axels? Toyota 8.4" center so i could still use my ARB setup in the rear.

850 for a custom width axel and 300 for new matching shafts, doesn't seem too bad and they said in an email that it could be setup to use the OEM drums to avoid the complications of swapping to rear disks. just another option i guess

http://www.diamondaxle.com/rear_nonsteering.htm

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone have any expirence with the diamond axels? Toyota 8.4" center so i could still use my ARB setup in the rear.

850 for a custom width axel and 300 for new matching shafts, doesn't seem too bad and they said in an email that it could be setup to use the OEM drums to avoid the complications of swapping to rear disks. just another option i guess

That's a pretty good deal..

Good find man..

·
Registered
212 Posts

I know for desert guys the 8.4 diff section is the weak link unable to take the constant on/off pounding of the dirt. So that axle wouldnt be the greatest idea considering it utilizes the weak link. The rest of the 8.4's seem to hold up fine.

....I have a trussed and tabbed for 3 link by esb t-100 axle i need to sell if anyone wants to buy it

·
Registered
523 Posts

I am on my second rearend for my elocked tacoma. My buddy's taco (same rear) is on jack stands this very moment with a busted carrier. if youre a toyota guy and you haven't read through the link prerunnerguy posted, get on it!

the TRD elocker is NOT a 8.4 toyota axle. it is a 8 inch toyota axle modified to fit the locker. the 8.4s are stronger, not really .4 only 8.0 blah blah....just read it!

I bought a 1st gen tundra rear from jonsangel i will be putting on this summer to ditch the elocker and go with LSD.

But yeah, go 9 inch and the econoline is the widest and strongest stock.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I know it's a semi old thread, but better than startin a new one

When looking for a 9" what width should I be looking for? Got the TC kit so I'm +3.5 right now.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know it's a semi old thread, but better than startin a new one

When looking for a 9" what width should I be looking for? Got the TC kit so I'm +3.5 right now.
I would match your stock rear, or go wider. again, prerunnerguy's link has many answers to stock toyota specs: http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts