TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just recently did the brake caliper upgrade for his 2002 Tundra. He used 2005 Tundra calipers that he got from a junkyard for only $35 for the pair.

The reason why I am posting this is because we have gotten amazing results from it. Currently we have only had the time to replace one so we decided to give it the ultimate test by driving down Pikes Peak. As you get halfways to the bottom, the park service makes you stop at a checkpoint and they check the temperature of your front brakes. We had the woman check both sides for us. The old caliper temperature was 254 F, and the new upgraded caliper was 152 F. Almost a 100 degree difference.

So if anyone has an older Tundra, it's definately worth doing. I'm sure this will eliminate the rotor warping problem as well.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
i wonder if they could be fit to a SFA....like oem big brakes :)

·
7,735 Posts
I was wondering the same thing Russ. I was planning on grabbing the Taco calipers from towerRiggers 03 and seeing if I could make them fit the 85 front. But I've heard good things about the tundra calipers (even got to see some clerancing of the backing plate tonight up MSV ;) )

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Final result, painted the calipers as well

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Are you having to modify anything? Or do the '05's just swap right in? I have a 2000. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you having to modify anything? Or do the '05's just swap right in? I have a 2000. Thanks for the info!
Just a little trimming on the backing plate. Very easy swap. We still have power slot rotors for sale too (same ones shown in the picture above, brand new still in box) if your in Colorado.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts