TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was time for new pads & rotors for the Tacama, but the stock brakes were just not cutting it anymore with the increased weight and larger, much heavier than stock wheel / tire combo, so an upgrade was in order. I went with the popular Tundra brake upgrade, which uses the early 1st gen Tundra rotors and calipers as a direct bolt on replacement for the Tacoma parts. The only 'custom' part of the project involves drilling out the center of the banjo bolt so that it clears a 'nipple' inside the caliper (which is not used on Tacoma) calipers, and bending back the dust shields, should you decide not to take them off entirely.

The shiny new Tundra parts

Tacoma vs. Tundra

Another advantage of this upgrade, aside from the increased braking power, is that the banjo bolt points towards the back, instead of straight out the side of caliper, which prevents it from hitting the bottom of the coilover at full lock + droop, which has the effect of loosening the bolt. I didn't get a good detailed picture of this, but you can somewhat see the position of the bolt in the next two pictures.

Old Tacama brakes

New Tundra brakes

Overall, i am very happy with the upgrade, the braking power is greatly increased, and no more loose banjo bolts on the trail, all for only the cost of new calipers, ( since I needed new pads & rotors already). Total cost for the parts was $270, after returning the Tacoma calipers for the core charge.

·
Registered
871 Posts
What year tundra calipers did you use?

They had a TSB for the tundra / sequoia from 04-06ish that replaced the calipers with larger units due to front brake vibrations.

Those appear to be the smaller tundra calipers, but the bigger ones may be too large and unbalance the brake system to much.

off-topic:
The larger ones did require the backing plate to be replaced or trimmed, but since the dealer can't just trim them, the TSB required replacing the backing plates, which requires removing the knuckle and pressing out the hub, destroying the wheel bearings in the process. So Toyota paid 4-5 hours of labor to install larger calipers due to the stupid backing plates! And new wheel bearings, rotors, brake lines, calipers, pads, it ended up being a couple grand worth of warranty business. good times for tech's though!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the early model calipers that were recalled, ordered them for an '02 so it would be easy to remember (same year as my Tacoma).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Nice I need to do this on the wifes runner - she's hard on brakes.
Same here. Her 2007 4Runner needs rotors turned every 30K miles. Not so good vibrations going on. All my other Toyotas, past and present were always smooth as glass. Is it her driving, or just junk rotors?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
don't know but I have been doing the same - the only thing that seemed to help was putting ceramic pads on. Not sure why but that helped get more miles. Always the same thing though - rotors warping. She has a 2000 runner

Same here. Her 2007 4Runner needs rotors turned every 30K miles. Not so good vibrations going on. All my other Toyotas, past and present were always smooth as glass. Is it her driving, or just junk rotors?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
bob-stace: wifes 03 Runner, was doing same thing. i put a brand new set of napa rotors and oem pads on and its been good so far.

my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
don't know but I have been doing the same - the only thing that seemed to help was putting ceramic pads on. Not sure why but that helped get more miles. Always the same thing though - rotors warping. She has a 2000 runner
Sounds like she likes to ride the brakes.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
yep been that route - about 30k and wraped again. I've had to do brakes in here runner - 4 times now. :banghead:

bob-stace: wifes 03 Runner, was doing same thing. i put a brand new set of napa rotors and oem pads on and its been good so far.

my :2cents:

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
nope she doesn't ride them - just thinks they are there for braking hard at the last possible moment. No sense in gradually coming up to a red light when you can haul ass and slam the brakes - right?

Sounds like she likes to ride the brakes.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you should use the bigger style Tundra brakes on the 4runner(s). I've never warped mine, and these rotors have at least 80k on them (assuming they put new ones on at the dealer when I bought the truck with 45k on it).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I thought I might chime in with some experience. I used the bigger tundra calipers on a 1997 tacoma reg cab 3rz. I had to only slightly bend the the dust shield. I am curious how to paint the calipers as the one I got form Oreilly's had some oil that was almost resistant to paint. Another bit of info is that I bought ProComp 7031 17x9 (4.75" BS) rims with 33x12.5 MT MTZ's. I could go measure to be more exact but I bet 16x8 rims would fit. The rim and tire combo does cause the tire to hit the frame at full turn. I do have shaved upper control arms which are still very close. I will advise that unless you want to pay extra money do not get the brakes from Toyota (Sumitomo) unless you have some shims in good shape, they are roughly $60 from the dealership. All in all I think they stop better, not sure if I have the back to front brake pressure at the optimum ratio. I will post some pics if anyone wants some.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
SteepRock
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing