TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking through the posts that i found while searching about using the 2wd drive Tundra coils as OME 881's? i was wondering if anyone prefers this setup over the OME 881's instead? and are the tundra coils better at holding weight such as a bumper and winch? and how much lift with the tundra coils?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
If you plan at all on adding a bumper and winch, then tundra coils, or OME is not what you need. You need a high-end adjustable coilover to do it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have the OME 881's already i just havent installed them but was wondering if it would be better to use tundra coils!!!! ive already searched but havent found out if the non trd coils are different than trd coils on the tacomas! im not asking about the lift im asking about the front sag with extra weight!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,646 Posts
Tacomapwr said:
i have the OME 881's already i just havent installed them but was wondering if it would be better to use tundra coils!!!! ive already searched but havent found out if the non trd coils are different than trd coils on the tacomas! im not asking about the lift im asking about the front sag with extra weight!
Ok, sorry I misunderstood your question, if your worried about the 881's sagging see if you can exchange them for some 882s I'm not sure what the difference in ride height is though I know you originally stated that you did not want to lift the front very much. not sure on the Tundra coils or TRD coils
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im not worried about the lift height i just dont want anything to big for my 31's! the 882's would only be about 2inches with the bumper and winch correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
99TanTaco said:
Ok, sorry I misunderstood your question, if your worried about the 881's sagging see if you can exchange them for some 882s I'm not sure what the difference in ride height is though I know you originally stated that you did not want to lift the front very much. not sure on the Tundra coils or TRD coils
i would go all out and buy coilovers but im only 17 and i cant afford it! way too much money for me....i dont care if my 881's will sag maybe a half inch with the bumper and winch i just wanted to see if tundra coils are a better option?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
Tacomapwr said:
i have the OME 881's already i just havent installed them but was wondering if it would be better to use tundra coils!!!! ive already searched but havent found out if the non trd coils are different than trd coils on the tacomas! im not asking about the lift im asking about the front sag with extra weight!
The TRD coils are progressive rate coils- they have two different spring rates. If you try to use a coil spacers with a trd coil, the winds of the spring will come in contact with each other before the rest do.

Has for having a budget of $500, I believe that the fabtech basic front coilovers are $450. But I'll tell you what- that's just dumb, save up and get some higher end coilovers. if you actually wheel, you'll end up buying them in the long run- I know I did.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
99TanTaco said:
Ok, sorry I misunderstood your question, if your worried about the 881's sagging see if you can exchange them for some 882s I'm not sure what the difference in ride height is though I know you originally stated that you did not want to lift the front very much. not sure on the Tundra coils or TRD coils
actually, in practice the 881s are a better choice for the added extra weight or preload. 882s just don't hold up well with that much weight.

He might get away with the 881s but probably not for long if he bottoms them out a lot.

see the other thread.

most of this stuff was covered at length on a joint thread with Yotatech last year.
on the 4Runners the Tundra coils and a small top-load spacer do very well but no so on the Tacoma for some reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so the 881's will be fine, i mean the type of offroading i do isnt hardcore, mostly just hitting local mudholes and trails...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,061 Posts
hytenor said:
actually, in practice the 881s are a better choice for the added extra weight or preload. 882s just don't hold up well with that much weight.

He might get away with the 881s but probably not for long if he bottoms them out a lot.
Did you mean to say that the 882's are a better choice for the extra weight of a heavy front bumper and that the 881's will not hold up well with that much weight?
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
equin said:
Did you mean to say that the 882's are a better choice for the extra weight of a heavy front bumper and that the 881's will not hold up well with that much weight?
No, hytenor meant the 881's are a better choice for the extra weight. I know, it doesn't sound right, but apparently that's how it is. I would trust him on it. He's probably the most informed/experienced person here regarding the OME coils.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
equin said:
Did you mean to say that the 882's are a better choice for the extra weight of a heavy front bumper and that the 881's will not hold up well with that much weight?
no, the 881s seem to be the better choice in practice. both springs are made of the same wire and with the same # of turns. the 882s are just stretched out 20mm taller than the 881s. I don't know the whys here, just what has happend to several who have tried them with the heavy winch bumpers.
 

·
Smoked Out!
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
synovus said:
He's probably the most informed/experienced person here regarding the OME coils.
He's not the #1 post whore for nothing. If they were not all quality posts, he would have been eaten alive by all the sharks around here... lol.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
Tacomapwr said:
so the 881's will be fine, i mean the type of offroading i do isnt hardcore, mostly just hitting local mudholes and trails...
yes, you MAY be fine with them especially if you take it easy as far as getting airborn, etc ;) If you had taller than stock tires you would have rubbing issues but not with your OE 265s.

But, just be aware that these coils may not hold up very long so be prepared for that possibility. Keep us informed as to what happens; this is the only way we can learn. ;)
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
DCabTaco said:
He's not the #1 post whore for nothing. If they were not all quality posts, he would have been eaten alive by all the sharks around here... lol.
not all are quality, many are plain, unadulterated BS ;)

and the sharks keep me in line all the time, LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
While you may have already gotten the answers you were looking for, you might want to grab a cold one and read THIS .

Its only five or six pages long.
 
1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Top