TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size is the Tundra front diff 7.5" or 8" Clamshell like the 05+ Tacos? I have read places where it says 7.5" and others say 8". Thinking about getting an 05-06 Tundy.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Uh I thought they changed in 03 with the 4runner
Please clarify. Do you mean they changed as in Toyota changed the front diffs in the 4runner in 03? Or do you mean they changed as in the tundras changed front diffs in 2003 with the redesign of the 4Runner?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
well it got new v6 and v8, and transmission too. so might as well change out the front end to handle the power.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Tundra

Every 1st gen tundra I've seen has 7.5 including 05 & 06. To date diff revisions have always been with full body revisions on toyotas.

well it got new v6 and v8, and transmission too. so might as well change out the front end to handle the power.

·
Registered
430 Posts
i looked into this quite extensivley a few onths ago as i was installing a whole tundra drive train in an early 4 runner.... I can telll you that ARB has a 8" locker listed for the 8" front diff in the tundra and they say they have run into it on some of them... For the fact of having actually sen one i think its a myth .. i ahd both a clamshell 8" out of an fj and a 7.5 laying on the ground to fit the 8" in the same chassis would be an idiotic amount of work and total redesign of way to many things i can't even begin to go in to ... i had an 04 double cab at the time and it had the same 7.5 as my 2001 parts truck i was using in the build... Until i see a picture i am calling it the fable Unicorn.......

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ARB's application chart lists '05-07 as the 8". all Tundras before that are 7.5s, same as Tacomas.

I wonder if that new '07+ 34spl monster would fit in the '05+ Taco :D
might be awesome for an LT.

·
Registered
965 Posts
All 06 & down tundras have the 7.5. The only reason anybody ever questions it is because arb's application guide is not accurate.

ARB's application chart lists '05-07 as the 8". all Tundras before that are 7.5s, same as Tacomas.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
All 06 & down tundras have the 7.5. The only reason anybody ever questions it is because arb's application guide is not accurate.
LOL, figures :p

you guys who work on these things all day long are going to have much better and more specific info than any web-based chart. ;)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Would be cool, but useless due to lack of aftermarket gears.

·
Registered
965 Posts
aftermarket gears

The 9" front clamshell diff from 07+ tundra is available with 3.91, 4.10, 4.30 I have all in stock. We also hope to offer 4.88 in the future. But still not likely a realistic swap.

Would be cool, but useless due to lack of aftermarket gears.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts