TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at building a rear bumper for my Tundra. either a solid rear piece with tubular side protection or just a tubular one with side protection. I want to build a tiregate so im not sure how much flex you would get with welding it to a full tubular bumper. it needs recovery points. I want to cut my bedsides at an angle for better departure angle. :saw: what tricks do yall have on keeping the paint cool from cutting?I know a few of yall have, and wanted to know what yall used and how you finished the new lip off.
Just wanted some pic ideas.

·
Registered
819 Posts
We use either hand shears, power saw, die-grinder with cut off wheels, plasma cutter, chain saw, flame thrower, big rock....

:D

Usually cutting sheet metal does not create a lot of heat. either way, you have to paint so it really is not a big deal. Cut ff saw works, ok...
die-grinder with slicing blades is what we use and then a sanding grinder. aviation snips, a full assortment is always handy along with masking tape.

Hope that helps... even with the smart ass part! :p

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Masked off the good area with tape and to use as a guide to where I was going to cut. After I removed the section, I used rubber trim from the auto parts store. The trim has since fell off and I have not replaced it. So far no issues with rust or paint flaking off. Here's a couple of pics.

I have some other pics I need to look for that has an angled cut down to the mud flaps on my friends tundra. When I find them, I'll post up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool man thanks! Ive found some good random pics of what I was looking for. but the pics are welcome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ APIMPDAD, Thanks I found your bumper build a few days ago. Do you have the link to that one wrap around bumper that, that one guy posted on your thread?

@ BOVADS, I take it that is a newer tacoma that has the factory dimples.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts