TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to looking at a new Tundra b/c of the deals and rebates...But one thing has me troubled...Is the transmission truly sealed or do they just not recommend frequent changes of the fluid. If it is really a disposible tranny I am going to look at other full size trucks. The dealer won't give me a straight answer...
Thanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Its not a disposable tranny. From what I know, its not just the new Tundras that have sealed trannies. My dads 05 as well as my 07 have sealed trannies. I've towed a lot with both and they are both fine.

I believe they have a new super expensive type of tranny fluid called "World Standard Fluid" or something like that. Its supposed to last over 100k miles I think. Here, I found this on TS....

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/4runner/45695-4th-generation-4runner-transmission-fluid-change/

It sounds fine to me. I'm sure the enigneers at Toyota know what they're doing with these trannies and the fluids.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
yes fluid can be changed. most have a drain/fill plug in bottom of pan. it sounds stupid but the drain plug has a raised area, start the truck and pull drain plug if fluid pours out its too full if fluid drips out its good to go.thats way fords are anyways. i work at a ford dealer and ill prolly flush my tundra fluid every 30-40k miles only cause i tow a heavy load and beat its ass up hills etc, bad thing ill prolly take it to a dealer to have it done. just as a insurance issue

·
Registered
326 Posts
yes technically it can be changed but it can be a pain... i wouldnt recomend doing it yourself.

BOVADS is right on with what he said about the raised area and it trickling out. However world standard expands at a greater rate than other types of transmission fluid so you really are supose to have the toyota scan tool hooked up to the vehicle so that you check the level of the fluid at the appropriate and exact temp.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
BOVADS I'm thinking you meant 'fill plug' :xpimp:...or I am remembering wrong...

Anyway yeah they're not "sealed" as in "can't get to the fluid", they just don't have a dipstick...rather a pair of plugs like the transfer case or diffs. You can still drain/fill/flush like the older models. Just pay attention to how much you're draining and filling, and temperature.

-Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts