TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the old truck that toyota had that was a turbo? I saw one-one time for sale for like 2500 bucks, and i haven't seen another since.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ShowStop said:
Toyota had a tubro version of the 22RE engine.
I'd like to have one. Can you still find them? I searched within 200 miles of where I live for one, and found nothing

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
spoolinitup33 said:
What is the old truck that toyota had that was a turbo? I saw one-one time for sale for like 2500 bucks, and i haven't seen another since.
22ret. I have one with the stock CT-20 turbo. The stock turbos are junk. If you get one, upgrade to a CT-26 supra trubo.

I like having the turbo, but it's a dog at low rpms. I don't mind much, seeing as the rig is a trail rig and is usually in low gear.

Any Toyota that you overheat will bow a HG. Keep the temps at normal, run ARP head studs and a quality gasket. you will be fine. I've hammered on this motor and it has yet to have an issue. Now the 3.0L V6 is known for HG issuses, the 22r series is not, to my knowleage.

You will have a hard time finding them though, they were made from 85.5-87 or 87.5? They made very few each year.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PuckerFactor said:
put a blower and fuel mods on your current taco
Have yall ever seen the remote mount turbo's for the newer tacos that STS makes?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Texan1983 said:
it's junk don't ever talk about it again!
lol, really? I don't know of anyone that has it, I had just seen it on the STS website. It seems like if you used it, and went four wheeling that it could result in a cracked exhaust housing on the turbo with the all the moisture

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
spoolinitup33 said:
lol, really? I don't know of anyone that has it, I had just seen it on the STS website. It seems like if you used it, and went four wheeling that it could result in a cracked exhaust housing on the turbo with the all the moisture

exactly... that and the turbo being that far from the engine doen't help anything, makes it really ineffecient.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Texan1983 said:
exactly... that and the turbo being that far from the engine doen't help anything, makes it really ineffecient.
Yeah, I can imagine it'd be a little bit laggy.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
i see that you have a 05 i still haven't seen a production super charger for them yet.
? do you have a v6 or 4 cycl.
I've seen both turbos for a pre-2005 taco a 3.4 v6 STS turbo IMO pure crap. Maybe on a 2wd but not for a 4x4 or pre-runner.

On the other hand i've seen a nice as setup on a pre-2005 4 cyl. and the setup was nice (granted a lowered 2wd) but it was a nice setup . He had a custom manifold built but after that the turbo was a off the shelf bought then is all he had was custom exhaust work done. He did some other tube work for the intake but from what i understand it wasn't simple but do able with just a little work and the right info

The ? is id your sig right you have a 05?? and do you have a v6 or 4 ??
4 cyc is easier IMO to turbo out

oh and on a side note i don't think you would get much offroad performance to the the RPMs & turbo lag. In a street truck spooling up & racing you can see the performance offroading except for mudding RPMs are in most cases low

just my

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TacoManny98 said:
i see that you have a 05 i still haven't seen a production super charger for them yet.
? do you have a v6 or 4 cycl.
I've seen both turbos for a pre-2005 taco a 3.4 v6 STS turbo IMO pure crap. Maybe on a 2wd but not for a 4x4 or pre-runner.

On the other hand i've seen a nice as setup on a pre-2005 4 cyl. and the setup was nice (granted a lowered 2wd) but it was a nice setup . He had a custom manifold built but after that the turbo was a off the shelf bought then is all he had was custom exhaust work done. He did some other tube work for the intake but from what i understand it wasn't simple but do able with just a little work and the right info

The ? is id your sig right you have a 05?? and do you have a v6 or 4 ??
4 cyc is easier IMO to turbo out

oh and on a side note i don't think you would get much offroad performance to the the RPMs & turbo lag. In a street truck spooling up & racing you can see the performance offroading except for mudding RPMs are in most cases low

just my
Were you asking me? I've got a 2002 Tacoma, i've got a 2005 mini cooper, its supercharged. My buddy has a 98' tacoma thats a 4 cylinder and its 4 wheel drive and I was looking under the hood of it one day and it would be eaaasssy to put a turbo on that thing if you could find an exhaust manifold for it. There is all kinds of room for it on the exhuast side of the engine.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
my bad mis read your info..
thats one of the main things is having a custom manifold maybe but after that most of the other things are fairly easy to have modified or built. Even some basic Exhaust pipe and having it bent would work or even rubber tubbing for the intake part after mounting the turbo you would have to have a custom exhaust work done but most good mufflers have the abilty to do so..

I'm taking that your main ? was to look for a 22RET and not to turbo your 02. If thats the case sorry for post off your topic stuff

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TacoManny98 said:
my bad mis read your info..
thats one of the main things is having a custom manifold maybe but after that most of the other things are fairly easy to have modified or built. Even some basic Exhaust pipe and having it bent would work or even rubber tubbing for the intake part after mounting the turbo you would have to have a custom exhaust work done but most good mufflers have the abilty to do so..

I'm taking that your main ? was to look for a 22RET and not to turbo your 02. If thats the case sorry for post off your topic stuff
yeah, I was just wondering if you still saw the old turbo's around, but its alright thanks 4 the info. Theres one on ebay right now thats a turbo diesel and its at like 8 thousand i think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts