TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am gonna be towing my 1998 Taco with my motorhome on an extended trip lasting a number of months and a lotta miles. Will my speedo odometer be registering these miles (haven't towed it yet or I'd know already) and if so, is there any way (fuse? cable?) to undo or stop the mileage accumulation while under tow?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
What year is your truck? If it's a digital odo display, I dont think the computer would register miles if the truck isnt on.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Not only is it illegal but it will trip a CE light. Your ECU reads the speed signal. If you have an auto tranny or rear locker etc. it's used for that stuff too.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Not only is it illegal but it will trip a CE light. Your ECU reads the speed signal. If you have an auto tranny or rear locker etc. it's used for that stuff too.
how will pulling the speedo connector plug throw a light when the truck isn't even running...just being towed?
heck, disconnecting the battery should do the same thing.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
Unplug the speed sensor connector located near where the rear driveshaft connects to the transmission. Re-connect before you start the truck and drive it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Or just disco the rear driveshaft at the diff and hang it up outta' the way.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Yes, but if the truck is off how will the ECU have power to realize the truk is moving?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I see what you're talking about now. Sorry I mis understood the question.
Just tow it. Since the engine isn't running it won't register anything. If it does, just unplug the speed sensor from the transfer case, passenger side toward the rear or even disconnect the rear drive shaft at the diff end and tie it to the frame rail up out of the way.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Removing the drive shaft would be the safest as stated above. Also the least wear and tear on your drive gear.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
Yes, but if the truck is off how will the ECU have power to realize the truk is moving?
The ECM has power for memory and anything disconnected will make itself apparent when the ignition is turned on again. Disconnecting the battery will alleviate this.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Not unless you reconnect the sensor before you start it up. The ECU doesn't so sensor scans or look for input when idle.
On the other hand if you disconnect the battery the learned fuel and timing trims start out with the learning procedure all over again from the base maps so it's definatelly not a good idea to do that.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Not unless you reconnect the sensor before you start it up. The ECU doesn't so sensor scans or look for input when idle.
On the other hand if you disconnect the battery the learned fuel and timing trims start out with the learning procedure all over again from the base maps so it's definatelly not a good idea to do that.
If you reconnect the sensor before reconnecting the battery.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
No all he has to do is reconnect the speed sensor before starting the truck.
If he's going to do it a lot of times, it may be worthwhile to put a switch in the circuit to make it easier.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
tbplus10 said:
Why not get a driveshaft disconnect?
Or in a perfect world you could get locking hubs to fit the rear axle.
Exactly. It's second nature for RV folks.

FRORF's full-floater rear end conversion with manual hubs would work as well, for just a hair under 1 grand. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Put it on a car trailer. problem solved, no constant wrenching the DS when you get to and leave your stops... :2cents:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts