TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, Got a funky one here. Just took kid's 4Runner ovet the woods and to Grandmother's for the holidays and found out that with cruise control (cc) on using either direction turn signal causes the cc to turn off. CC will re-engage fine over and over. Does control logic for both interface in a common module/relay/switch? Hope to get a hint from the tech gods here before I have to fork over the big $ for a shop manual or get bent over at the dealer. The service manager's thought on this was "must be a bad switch somewhere". Thanks Jethro but I needed a little more than that! Thanks to all and hope to hear from ya soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi JJ,
Sounds like your turn signal circuit is at least partially shorted to your brake light circuit and shutting off cruise control as if you had pressed the brake pedal. I'd check tail/brake light bulbs and wiring. Bad/loose/incorrect bulbs can bridge the turn and brake light circuits together.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I second that theory ... Activation of the brake light circuit should disable the cruise control, and the likely suspect is a short / interaction between turn and stop light circuits.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Check the rear turn signal bulbs. Sometimes when one filiment breaks, it will short across the other filiment inside the bulb. This will cause a short between the turn signals and the brake circuit. Also check for corrosion inside the sockets. Symptoms of this are the parking lights flashing with the turn signals, and the cruise shutting off when the turn signal is activated. It should be pretty easy to tell which side to check.......which turn signal shuts off the cruise?

Another possibility is a bad trailer harness. Sometimes these will short out too, either from a skinned or pinched wire, corrosion, or a bad module. If the bulbs arent the culprit, then try disconnecting the trailer harness if it has one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I second that theory ... Activation of the brake light circuit should disable the cruise control, and the likely suspect is a short / interaction between turn and stop light circuits.
Wow, talk about speedy replies! Thanks to you both and will check the bulbs, wiring etc. I just did my first oil & filter change last week. Any thoughts on co-location of parts that I could have fat-fingered (wrenched) whilst servicing. Thanks again for the pleasant replies. Safe and Happy Toyo New Year to you and your's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the rear turn signal bulbs. Sometimes when one filiment breaks, it will short across the other filiment inside the bulb. This will cause a short between the turn signals and the brake circuit. Also check for corrosion inside the sockets. Symptoms of this are the parking lights flashing with the turn signals, and the cruise shutting off when the turn signal is activated. It should be pretty easy to tell which side to check.......which turn signal shuts off the cruise?

Another possibility is a bad trailer harness. Sometimes these will short out too, either from a skinned or pinched wire, corrosion, or a bad module. If the bulbs arent the culprit, then try disconnecting the trailer harness if it has one.
Again, thanks for info. Will advise if go / no-go.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Again, thanks for info. Will advise if go / no-go.
No problem.....looks like they were quicker typing than me.....LOL

But, this is a surprizingly common occurance with these trucks :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done and Done, Check this out. Ya'lls wisdom runs deep. I do the brake light check and find BOTH bulbs are blown. Change them out and BAM the whole cruise control thing goes away! How's that for smart. Saved me a ton of time and worry. Wonder if Toyo had a fail safe built in to wiring. Either way, glad to get this done, saved my kid a ticket (?) and me some more hair falling out. Hope to be able to pay it forward like ya'll did. Thanks and now gotta get my swerve and fireworks on (ok maybe just a beer and watch the ball drop)
Happy New Year 2 all.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Done and Done, Check this out. Ya'lls wisdom runs deep. I do the brake light check and find BOTH bulbs are blown. Change them out and BAM the whole cruise control thing goes away! How's that for smart. Saved me a ton of time and worry. Wonder if Toyo had a fail safe built in to wiring. Either way, glad to get this done, saved my kid a ticket (?) and me some more hair falling out. Hope to be able to pay it forward like ya'll did. Thanks and now gotta get my swerve and fireworks on (ok maybe just a beer and watch the ball drop)
Happy New Year 2 all.
Good deal :thumbs:

$3.00 for new bulbs sure beats a trip to the stealership, and they probably would have sold you new tail lights....:rolleyes:

That's what makes this forum so great.....there is an amazing wealth of knowledge and experience here. Nobody knows it all (except for maybe THE DICK), but together we can figure out pretty much anything.

Have a great new year!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also did it when I swapped regular brake bulbs for LED’s. Before that when I wired a trailer connection and there was a short with the ground connection on the right rear. (The trailer wiring was my human error)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts