TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had this happen to them? i was wheelin last weekend and rode the clutch so much on one obstacle it smoked for quiet some time, now when i launch in first gear the truck makes an unholy racket and i get some rear axle hop. theres no vibration when the pedal is all the way out, drives just fine...

if anyones done this before, let me know if it warped the flywheel or just the clutch plate or something else happened? i'm hoping it will just machine itself flat again...

·
Registered
80 Posts
that is why they now have 'crawl gears' !!!
if you were to resurface the flywheel and replace the clutch plate, you'll be ok !

(don't 'ride', slip the clutch when wheelin !!!!!) put in some gears !!!!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,585 Posts
Most likely you burned several hot spots into the flywheel and glazed the clutch disc at the same time. You could probably resurface the flywheel and fix the problem, but if you have some decent miles on the clutch, you might as well replace that too. When the clutch is smoked that bad, its just a good idea to change it all out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had done that on one of my other Toyotas... completely took chunks out of the clutch plate. Replace clutch, resurface flywheel.

Kruso

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,585 Posts
Oh - and when 'wheeling, clutch in or clutch out - try to avoid slipping it!
Some of us not endowed with the proper gearing have to slip the clutch on obstacles. Its a fine art to slipping the clutch at the right times and for the right amount to properly finesse an obstacle.

A perfect example of this was last year after the Rubicon run when we were on Strawberry trail. The driver in front of me either had the clutch in or out when trying to tackle the painted rock. He either had too much power and dug a hole or not enough momentum to pull over the rock, so he eventually got winched over it. I was next and slipped the clutch a little to keep the momentum and power up but not too overboard, and I just went right up and over the obstacle. Ask Hytenor about it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Some of us not endowed with the proper gearing have to slip the clutch on obstacles. Its a fine art to slipping the clutch at the right times and for the right amount to properly finesse an obstacle.

A perfect example of this was last year after the Rubicon run when we were on Strawberry trail. The driver in front of me either had the clutch in or out when trying to tackle the painted rock. He either had too much power and dug a hole or not enough momentum to pull over the rock, so he eventually got winched over it. I was next and slipped the clutch a little to keep the momentum and power up but not too overboard, and I just went right up and over the obstacle. Ask Hytenor about it.
I agree 100%!!
Before I had a crawler I would always "feather" the clutch and try to find just the right amount of torque to apply to the wheels to get me over the obstical without spinning tires. Hell even with silly low gearing I still find myself doing the same thing.. Habit I guess.

Troy, you should know this, you've seen me wheel. You don't actualy think I made it over/through all that shit without slipping the cluch a bit!?!? C'mon man...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had a buddy with a T100 and he had problems like this. They were related to his master cylinder, might want to look into it. (It made it so the clutch was on/off with no in between.)

·
Registered
473 Posts
hmm...

When I had my '89, I broke the pressure plate into 3 pieces. I was impressed. Until I had to replace the clutch. Not fun.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well i didnt want to believe it, but i do now...
i'll see how much damage i did later this week when i dig in to the ol' money pit...sucks since i have all the stuff for my duals but went wheelin' instead of wrenchin. oh well, what the hell, trucks are only fun if you :driving: 'em anyway.

also, thanks for the input. heres a video of the ordeal.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the damage

here is what happened to the flywheel...got it surfaced...did my :dualing: cases...waitin on a rear dshaft then we'll see if i am back in business

1 - 14 of 14 Posts