TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many weeks of planning, a few date changes, some people going then not, some people not going but they came, a last minute trip cancellation by our fearless leader, an even later rally of the commoners to convince the fearless leader that the trip was a worthy expedition, we set off for the mysterious place simply called......Death Valley. Well at least we thought we were setting off until Chuck radios us not 20 min after departure telling us Shorty had somehow locked her self out and his assistance was needed in the form of a key. So we pulled over and attempted to provide Chuck with the coordinates of our planned first night camp spot in hopes that he could meet us after his triumphant rescue. I did say attempted and with hope.....more on that later. After passing through the beautiful town known as Pahrump we headed west in search of adventure. View attachment 29121

One might think... "Oh that looks like nasty weather".....or "It's cold and raining why would you want to camp in that?" To that I have but one answer.....the weather in my IPhone said it would stop raining in Death Valley many hours before our arrival. It was correct, but we had some great scenery on the drive in!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363062491.522725.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363062529.922027.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363062572.611092.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363062624.622880.jpg

We eventually arrived at the turn off to our stop for the night. We decided to venture to the end of the road under the theory the further from the highway the better the spot. After reaching the end of the road in some rather rocky terrain, we determined the better spot was behind us. We tried turning around but Charlie's four wheel drive wouldn't engage. After some tuggy love from Andrew we got his truck turned around and headed down the hill to our resting place for the evening. We expected Chuck to arrive an hour or so behind us but after many hours and a few beers, we've all but given up on the hope of his return. It was close to midnight when we looked away from the campfire to see the faint glow of headlights bouncing towards us. The closer they came we could see that they were the large yellow light forces of Chucks beloved 80.....we were whole again!

To be continued at a later date....I'm going to bed.

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
What a great trip and a great group. Thanks guys.

I'll continue the trip report where Steve left off.

Reunited with Chuck we packed up camp and headed northwest past Panamint Springs, topping off our tanks was nearly $6 a gallon!

We stopped for a few shots with the Panamint Mtn range in the backgound, it's tough to see, but there was snow at altitude. Certainly a rare sight in Death Valley.

We diverted from the original route since we were running out of daylight and took the more direct southern route into Saline Valley. Along the route in we took a diversion up the Lippincott trail to check out the racetrack dry lake bed. Here we saw the mind-blowing "sailing stones" that I cant explain, I wish I had a good theory. Very strange and awesome.

After seeing the racetrack we headed back down the Lippincott trail and continued N. towards the hot springs. Then we camped in a fucking dust storm hurricane. Those were the worst camping conditions I've ever experienced. Sorry guys. Of course the wind completely died down around 1am right after we all called it a night.

We awoke the next morning and experienced the incredible DV hot springs, this location needs to remain on the DL.

Heading out, we took the northern route over Steel Pass and ran by the Eureka Dunes. Apparently the tallest in N. America. This was a long route out, but it had a bit of fun along the way :)

Thanks again guys, that was a great trip. The TTORA Death Valley spring trip will certainly continue to be an annual event as long as I'm in town!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Andrew, Steve, and Charlie, I've been wanting to thank you guys for making my introduction to camping so much fun and for taking the time to teach me the ropes. I think for my first time out I got to experience an array of different scenarios . It's given me something to share w/ my son and now he too is a fan.
If you guys ever have an opportunity to go on one of Andrews trips definitely go. He did a fantastic job of route planning. I got to experience some of the real highlights of DV. Due to the combination of guys and experiences, I think I will definitely remember this trip as one of the highlights of my off-roading career ( or whatever). Thanks again dudes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Andrew, Steve, and Charlie, I've been wanting to thank you guys for making my introduction to camping so much fun and for taking the time to teach me the ropes. I think for my first time out I got to experience an array of different scenarios . It's given me something to share w/ my son and now he too is a fan.
If you guys ever have an opportunity to go on one of Andrews trips definitely go. He did a fantastic job of route planning. I got to experience some of the real highlights of DV. Due to the combination of guys and experiences, I think I will definitely remember this trip as one of the highlights of my off-roading career ( or whatever). Thanks again dudes.
Thanks Chuck, just saw this now, but it meant a lot. I'll keep planning trips when I can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
modsquad
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing