TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some aftermarket tweeters to replace the factory ones in the doors of my 2001. I don't want to modify the holes any. Any other ones than stock should sound better. I have an Alpine CD player too so its not stock. Any info would be great! -Wes

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think the stock ones are alright. I'm keeping mine in there rather than have to hassle with the fabrication issues of fitting after market ones. But also, I'm kind of in the middle when it comes to price vs. quality. In fact, the older I get, the more I lean to the cheap side of car audio.

I ordered replacement 6½" woofers for the doors to replace the factory 6x8. Instant component setup for very little money! And it really sounds good.

I did the exact same thing in my wife's Corolla and in my dad's GMC Sierra. They were both pleasantly surprised.

I probably have not helped you at all. Sorry.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the stock ones are alright. I'm keeping mine in there rather than have to hassle with the fabrication issues of fitting after market ones. But also, I'm kind of in the middle when it comes to price vs. quality. In fact, the older I get, the more I lean to the cheap side of car audio.

I ordered replacement 6½" woofers for the doors to replace the factory 6x8. Instant component setup for very little money! And it really sounds good.

I did the exact same thing in my wife's Corolla and in my dad's GMC Sierra. They were both pleasantly surprised.

I probably have not helped you at all. Sorry.
Its cool! All the info helps. I'm sure theres one out there that will fit the stock hole without mods. Maybe someone will chime in!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Have you taken the door panel off and looked at how the stock ones are mounted in there? I ordered some Pioneer tweeters once to replace, thinking they would be a simple screw-out-the-old, screw-in-the-new install. The stock ones are mounted in some weird, glued/molded-in mount that isn't by any stretch Pioneer-friendly. I really couldn't figure how to get the old ones out without pulling something apart, so I ended up leaving the stock ones in and shipping the Pioneers back for a refund.

Then again, maybe I'm just pretty slow-witted. This is always a possibility. :)

Good luck!
-Radar

·
Registered
21 Posts
I mounted the tweeters from a set of infinity reference components with very little modification. I too was set back a few minutes when I found the install was not 100% plug and play, but it was not difficult by any stretch of the imagination.

If I remember correctly I unscrewed the factory tweeters (side note: which, when compared to aftermarkets solely on looks and size, it's no wonder my new ones sound 100 times cleaner) and retained the small metal plate that the factory tweeter is mounted to. The Infiniti's would not mount easily with any of their standard mounts so I just put them in their little hole, adjusted the factory metal plate to hold the tweeters in and tightened everything down...it's a perfectly clean install from anyone's elses perspective, no one is going to look behind your door panels.

I would definitely go to replace all factory speakers. In any of my vehicles that has always been my first mod, it makes the drive so much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree! The first thing I did was install 4 new Infinity Refrences in the truck, 100 times better! I also have 2 JL 10's which add a great deal of low end. Could you take some pics of your install? I want to see how they look.
Thanks, Wes

·
Registered
266 Posts
I mounted the tweeters from a set of infinity reference components with very little modification. I too was set back a few minutes when I found the install was not 100% plug and play, but it was not difficult by any stretch of the imagination.

If I remember correctly I unscrewed the factory tweeters (side note: which, when compared to aftermarkets solely on looks and size, it's no wonder my new ones sound 100 times cleaner) and retained the small metal plate that the factory tweeter is mounted to. The Infiniti's would not mount easily with any of their standard mounts so I just put them in their little hole, adjusted the factory metal plate to hold the tweeters in and tightened everything down...it's a perfectly clean install from anyone's elses perspective, no one is going to look behind your door panels.

I would definitely go to replace all factory speakers. In any of my vehicles that has always been my first mod, it makes the drive so much more enjoyable.
I did the same thing for about a year, EZ as pie. Much better sound and total factory appearance. Eventually I re-mounted the tweets using the Infinity threaded cup mounts by holesawing out the factory tweeter grill and got another improvement in sound but lost the factory look. Still very clean look though, the tweeter mount cup has a flange that lays right over the stock grill edge. It is a little nerve-racking taking a holesaw to the door panel...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts