TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I drive in to San Angelo from the East, can anyone tell me how to get to Twin Buttes resevoir, where the 4x4 trails are located. And are there a lot of trails? Easy? Extreme? Is anyone familiar with this area?
Thanks for any input... :)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Travis, from what I have heard, Twin Buttes was closed to public access after a kid died out there in an accident. He went off the rd into a ditch. You may want to get in contact with Cody from San Angelo. He is with SAPD and can probably tell you if it is reopened. Personally I wouldn't go out wheeling there unless you know the area or you are with someone who knows the area. There has been a lot of erosion and some of the trails can get tricky.

Directions are: Take 87 west into San Angelo. Get off at Loop 306 exit and take the left ramp. You will take the Mertzon exit and turn left at the light. You will go through 2 more lights and then you will have a long stretch of rd (Hwy 67 S). You will see a gas station on the left after 2 miles or so, turn left there. Go over the railroad tracks and you will take a left at the first dirt rd. If the gate is closed, then the park is closed and you can get into some trouble out there. See if you can get in touch with Cody and y'all can wheel out there together.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Sorry, was in El Paso the last few days. As far as I know at this point it was still open. The kid that died, did so on the main road into the park, and his parents and family have contacted the county about getting it closed. The last I talked to the park rangers the park was still open, but was probbaly going to be closed. Now the closed part is kinda strange. They were going to close the road, not the park. This means you will have to cross some rough terrains, more brush than anything, to get to the trails. I think they are going to attempt to make it a hiking park. The lake is way up and that cuts off a trail were you could go all the way around from an open area. I work tomorrow and will attempt to get an answer if the park is open or closed.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get a response. Yes Twin Buttes is closed to all motor vehicle traffic. Motorcycles and 4wheelers are good to go out there. The one bad apple spoiling the bunch is the case in this matter. The fellow who died was out at the spillway for the better part of the day drinking, not using the park as we do. The city council decided it would be best to ban all motor vehicles than try and set up regular patrols by the Lake Rangers. The Lake Rangers appreciated the 4 wheel groups that went out there, because the took care of the place, and held up annual clean ups. I will talk to some council members and see what can be done and see what kind of vibes I can get from them.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
That really sucks. Just goes to show how one jackass can fuck it up for the rest of us. Too bad we couldn't organize a big run out there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
travisheals said:
Once I drive in to San Angelo from the East, can anyone tell me how to get to Twin Buttes resevoir, where the 4x4 trails are located. And are there a lot of trails? Easy? Extreme? Is anyone familiar with this area?
Thanks for any input... :)
I am not sure if you have heard of Katemcy Rocks. It is a fairly new area that was opened just outside of Brady (my out-laws live there) and it is pretty popular and has trails for every vehicle/skill level. The site is www.katemcyrocks.com. Check it out and holler if you have any questions [email protected]

·
Registered
61 Posts
travisheals said:
Isn't Katemcy closed all winter for animal killing....I mean hunting?
might be

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Twin Buttes is open sorta. They have opened up the gates but have installed pipe barriers along the road preventing you from entering the off road area. The park ranger im in class with this weeks said that they installed them along the road all the way to the top of the crows nest. I havent been out there to check. I will probbaly be changing jobs this weekend to a motor jock. A bit more work, but a 12k in pay increase, and a brand new Harley. I will try and get out there some time and let yall know.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
BigJon said:
Twin Buttes is open sorta. They have opened up the gates but have installed pipe barriers along the road preventing you from entering the off road area. The park ranger im in class with this weeks said that they installed them along the road all the way to the top of the crows nest. I havent been out there to check. I will probbaly be changing jobs this weekend to a motor jock. A bit more work, but a 12k in pay increase, and a brand new Harley. I will try and get out there some time and let yall know.
Cody, glad to hear you're alive and well! Congrats on the raise and the new bike!

Will you free for this: Round Up? It's close to your neck of the woods, so no excuses! ;)

Happy belated birthday BTW... we'll save a Shiner for you!

·
Registered
99 Posts
BigJon said:
Im not sure if you've been out there yet, but as far as I can tell the park is still pretty much fully opened. the only part affected by the pipe baracades is the spot you mentioned, by the crows nest and that red dirt flat area directly infront of the spill way. you can still go off back in there and wheel. all off the tough stuff is still opened. they only piped off the small section that is right off the main road leading in.

here is a picture i took of how they tried to close off the crows nest. It it still possible to go up or down it if you have a tight enough turning radius

People are starting to wheel out there again. I rode along with toby harrel(2003? top truck challange winner) in his new and inproved "blazer" a couple weeks ago. now that hes got his rig rebuilt & back togther he and his 4wheeling buddies have started going out there alot again.

you cant drive up to where that pic was taken anymore, thats the spot in front of the spillway i was talking about.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
That is awesome. I really want to have a run out there. Maybe sometime in November? I will start a poll and see who is up for it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The area was 100% open this Saturday afternoon. 2/4/07. I talked my wife into riding out there while we were looking at houses to see. I walked some of the more popular trails and drove all around there, no gates were shut. looked good. Some markings on the road showing which was to go to the trails. I guess the jeep guys have been out recently.

·
Registered
99 Posts
the park is still seeing a lot of action. Concho 4wheelers had there big new years day run out there, and the toys for tots 4Wheel competions was held out there sometime in Dec.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Black Taco said:
the park is still seeing a lot of action. Concho 4wheelers had there big new years day run out there, and the toys for tots 4Wheel competions was held out there sometime in Dec.
I would have called you, but was not expecting to head out there. With the wife, we were in and out in about 20 minites anyway. It looked like there has been some action out there. We need to get out there and get a run ready for this year. I have always wanted to map that place out somewhere for others to use. Also, keep me posted on your coilover install. I might have my parts in as well by then. Just going to go with OME 882, OME leaf pack, OME shocks front and rear and 33X10.50 BFG MT's. Should look fair on the single cab I think. I will also have my new set of BFG 31's, but I do not know if you want such a nice set for what you were going to use them for. Those others are trash. I took one in Saturday to talk to them about the damage I found while moving, and it was bad. Probably would not mount correctly anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts