TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
03, V6, MT, xtracab. Brief background: I have had zero problems with the truck since I bought it in 08 or 09 up until 2018 when Toyota replaced the frame. I have had tons of little issues that have been popping up since they replaced the frame. I am not sure this is the culprit, but could this all be a loose ground somewhere or just brittle wires shorting out somewhere?

Issue #1: My left turn signal blinks fast as if a bulb is out ONLY when I apply the brakes; this problem is independent of whether the headlights are on or off. The rear left turn signal flasher light goes from blinking in the correct turn signal bulb (top light) to the brake light flashing (bottom light) when the brakes are applied. When you lift off the brakes, the blinking goes back to the correct turn signal bulb. I have tried replacing bulbs, replacing the light housing itself, cleaning the connectors on both side, etc. I have a tow harness jumper, but this problem persists both with it connected and not connected.

Issue #2: My right turn signal periodically blinks fast as if a bulb is out. This issue is also only from the rear. However, the blinker does not flash from the rear AT ALL when it is flashing rapidly and it flashes in the correct bulb position when it is flashing at the normal/correct speed. This is completely random; sometimes it will flash correctly slowing down to turn but then rapidly flash in the middle of a turn and vice versa. Sometimes I will be sitting at a light and it will rapidly flash then go to correct speed and vice versa, and this all occurs regardless of brake application (so not like Issue #1 above). I have also tried replacing all bulbs, the light housing, cleaning the connectors, etc. But unlike above, I MUST have the tow harness jumper connected to even have a 'normal' brake signal and only if I twist the harness one full turn to the right. If I do not have the tow harness jumper connected, I have a rapidly flashing right signal with no light flashing from the rear at all. If I do not twist the harness to the right once, I have a rapidly flashing right signal with not light flashing from the rear as well. One or more twists to the left, it will not work.

Any thoughts on the cause?

·
Administrator
18,344 Posts
Electrical gremlins are a bitch. It does sound like a harness issue. The harness carries the ground back to the tail lights, so you won't be looking for a ground there. It grounds up in the engine bay. I'd meter the grounds at the lights and same with the power. A test light is also very handy to have for this kind of testing. You need to meter everything out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Electrical gremlins are a bitch. It does sound like a harness issue. The harness carries the ground back to the tail lights, so you won't be looking for a ground there. It grounds up in the engine bay. I'd meter the grounds at the lights and same with the power. A test light is also very handy to have for this kind of testing. You need to meter everything out.
You mean like an Ohm meter, right? Not one of those $200 specialty tools?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ideally you need the wiring diagrams so you can find where the circuits originate and trace it all the way.
So I finally spent a few minutes with this. Haven't touched the rear lights yet but I tested all the relays and they're fine, get power to all the proper fuses and none are blown. However, I found the problem is alleviated when I pull the stop 10A fuse but obviously I won't have brake lights.... So that's as far as I got. I will post notes later unless you guys have further ideas on how to narrow down the search.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts