TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i did some searching and found there are some people who run two sets of tires one for street and one for the trail. I didn't find any specific suggestions for what kind of tire to get. I also searched for 'cheap mud tires' and couldn't find much.

I ran into a free set of 15x8 steel wheels. I currently have my stock 15x7 wheels on my truck now. I was thinking about getting a cheap set of mud tires on the 15x8 and a cheap set of street tires for the 15x7's. My tire size is 31x10.5 and I can't really find a cheap mud tire. 120 is the cheapest I can find. And I don't know anything about street tires.

Anyone run a setup like this? What tires do you run.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I plan on running this set up. 31x10.5s for the street and 33x10.5s for the trail. I already have 31x10.5 MTs right now but in the future it would be good to have an AT for the street and MT for the trail. I got my Kumho MTs for about $100 apiece and they are awesome. I also plan on the 15x7 stock aluminums for the street and then some 15x8 steelies for the trail. Some things are just taking priority right now and I havent gotten around to it (suspension, spring cleaning).

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
There are so many debates on what the best trail tire is, and almost as many on what the best street tire. So just prepare yourself!

I used to run two sets of tires, but since I moved up to 37" tires, it has gotten a bit too expensive to be able to do it now. You mentioned $120 per tire…try the "high rent district" of $280-$325 per tire?

I have this link that you will have to keep checking to find different/specific deals but it would be worth it if you are just trying to add a secondary set of trail tires. http://www.intercotire.com/site.php?pageID=55&newsID=7

Hope some of this helps!

p.s I am not sure of the smallest size tire they produce but try pit bull tires for the trail tires. I want a set for my truck, but since they are biased ply, they would not last long for street use. But the prices were good the last time I checked. Be warned though the ones I was looking at (rockers) are very aggressive. might be hard on Cv shafts in the tough stuff.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either i'm gonna run one set of tires... i'll probalby get the cooper stt's... or i'll run two sets.. If I run two sets, i'm not going to be able to afford the stt's and a street tire, so i'll have to get two cheap sets... not sure if its worth it.

the other option is I get on the ball, and get some street tires right now and don't wait for my current mud tires to go bald. I probably got about 8000 miles left on my mud tires. So then I would have a street tire for the street and then just keep my worn mud tires for the trail. Not sure if thats such a great idea either.

the more I think about it, the more just one set of tires makes sense.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or, i could get the cooper's and put them on the 15x8 wheel and just keep running the worn mud tires I have on the street for a while longer. Just use the new tires when I go on the trail. hmmmm

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Either i'm gonna run one set of tires... i'll probalby get the cooper stt's... or i'll run two sets.. If I run two sets, i'm not going to be able to afford the stt's and a street tire, so i'll have to get two cheap sets... not sure if its worth it.

the other option is I get on the ball, and get some street tires right now and don't wait for my current mud tires to go bald. I probably got about 8000 miles left on my mud tires. So then I would have a street tire for the street and then just keep my worn mud tires for the trail. Not sure if thats such a great idea either.

the more I think about it, the more just one set of tires makes sense.
I think you'll be happier with one quality set of tires rather than two cheaper sets of tires if you're limited by budget. As for which tire to run...

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
just a thought.....

i understand tires are expensive, especially when youre talking about having two sets, but tires are probably one purchase you dont want to go cheap on. i was always told, there are two things on a vehicle you pay a little extra for quality for; tires, because theyre the only thing between you and the road, and brakes, cause theyre the only thing stopping you. in my experience, a good tire will save the vehicle from lots of expense down the road. i run bfg m/t's on stock rims...last week i had a blowout doing 85 down a steep grade with no room to pull over for at least 1/2 a mile. when i did get over and stop, the tire was shredded, however, the bead stayed on the rim and the rim never touched the asphalt. i never lost control of my truck and didnt get any vehicle damage. i owe that to a quality tire.

if cost is an issue, you should prob stick to one set of tires....most of us here do. find one that meets the majority of your needs (ie; 60%road, 40%offroad, etc) and save up for next time. [america's tire store warranties are the shit!] i would put myself at 90% road and 10%offroad. the bfg m/t's are great for trail, but lack on the asphalt in wet weather. a/t's work well offroad when aired down and provide much better surface friction on the road.

just some info...use it how you will.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I would just get one set of good mud tires and run them all the time........swapping tires all the time sucks.

All-terrains also work well but they have limits.......i just switched from at's to mt's and I wish I would have done it a long time ago:)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think I will get an AT - Even though I only wheel about once a month or so, here in oregon the trails are usually wet

·
Registered
407 Posts
Because of the steelies issues with the '05+ Taco, I went with a second set of stock alloys and BFG 265/75/16 T/A KM Mud-Terrains. Compared to the stock BFG Rugged Trail T/As, the M-Ts rule and the Rugged Trails will probably never go back on the truck unless I take the Taco back stock and unload it.

$567 mounted and balanced seemed reasonable for the M-Ts. $250 for the extra set of stock alloys I'd rethink with what I know now. But, better that than shaving calipers or adding spacers to fit steelies or spend more on high end wheels that fit. Besides, I like the stock alloys.

For a second set of muds, check out H-Tech Retreads. I know some people who wheel them and they've worked out fine. Last I checked, 31s were less than a hundred a pop although shipping cost kind of levels the playing field. That's where a "parts across America" plan works for my club.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I run set 32x11.5x15 BFG AT's on the street-
and have a set of 32x11x15 BFG MT's mounted on an identical -2nd set of wheels for wheeling-

I've had to drive 4-6 hours for TTORA Runs with the Mt's in the back of the Bed and just swap them for the trails- You can leave the AT's at camp - Now you've have potentially 4 more spares.

Even though I hav enever had a problem with my MT's on the stret- I have more confidence in the AT's on pavement.
If its a Daily Driver- AT's make sense

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Ditto for the 1 set. Have you considered the Discoverer S/T OR S/T-C? The S/T-C is rated one level (off-read) below the STT. The S/T is 2 below(off-read), but plus 1 (winter traction). Just something else to look at? I myself run the ATR"S for daily usage. I will be getting rugged set for playing soon. Getting another set of rims in a couple days.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ditto for the 1 set. Have you considered the Discoverer S/T OR S/T-C? The S/T-C is rated one level (off-read) below the STT. The S/T is 2 below(off-read), but plus 1 (winter traction). Just something else to look at? I myself run the ATR"S for daily usage. I will be getting rugged set for playing soon. Getting another set of rims in a couple days.
Get some Maxxis Mudders off ebay. Then if you want get some kumho at's for driving on road. I have some Maxxis Buckshot 265 75 x 16 Mudders and some BFG 32 11.50 x 15 AT's. But for just the street Kumho or General AT's are good.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have been through more tires than most, I know there are a few that log more than 35-55k a year but not many. So here are my thoughts. My current setup is 295/75/16 Nitto Terra Graps $675 for the road and 285/75/16 Cooper STT's for the mud $695 I think. Though in the past I have had 3 sets of BFG AT's that I always end up with 1 that has a flat spot and it drives me nuts. Ive had Interco SSR's by far the best mub tire ever! But if I was on a budget for cheap muds I'd go back to the Walmart Wild Country RVT's those tires were great for the money.

Nitto Terra

BFG AT

Cooper STT

Interco SSR

Wild Country RVT

Pro Comp Mud

BFG Mud

Aaron

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
It's not a bad idea - it allows you to take advantage of bias plys offroad, but not have to live with their considerable on-road shortcomings day to day. , Changing tires gets to be a PITA. I run 33x10.50 Dunlop RVXT (radials) on the street and used to have a set of 34x9.50 TSL (bias ply) for offroad.

The reason I say "used to" is that they were SO bad onroad that I wouldn't use them on anywhere but the closest trails. Also, now that I live in CO, an AT works just fine on the hardpack and dirt.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
My thought is this:

In my opinion, you do have the perfect situation for 2 sets of tires. If you wheel once or twice a month, you will know when that is and be able to switch out the tires. I am not fond of past procomp tires, but now, i do like them. IF I WERE YOU i absolutely would go out and buy a set of procomp AT's or extreme at's. Either way, if you had someone pop a last minute wheeling trip, you could go because you have the AT's that will perform not as well as more aggressive tires in the mud, but will do okay. I believe the regular at's have a 50K mile warranty and the extreme at's have a 40K. EIther way, thats pretty good mileage off of an offroad tire.

THen, if i were you i would get a set of offroad tires. If you deal with mud, i would go all out and get a set of Super swamper boggers or TSL's. My experience with them, is that they perform incredibly. IF you deal with rock and trail, get a set of Pit bull rockers. I know they only come in a few sizes, but try to see if you have a set for your size. I have a friend that ran some 37's (rockers) after he ran MTR's many times and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. Anyways, if you want rock, get some MTR's, IROKs, or rockers.

When i get my hands on another tacoma, this will be my plan. I just get nervous about it, especially like the other night when i was reading up on CRONUSTRD (SP) and how his wheel and tire went flying off and he messed a few things on his truck up. This makes me want to leave the tire shit to the pro's!:D

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thats not a bad idea either, I run alot of miles on my tires and I dont mind switching out the wheels take about 10 min or so. I know my at's are tough enough for the trail, hell they are tough enough for the job sites and sometimes those are worse than the trail. You mention the MTR's if you have not seen the Cooper STT they share a similar look at a fraction the cost and I have had no isuues with them as of yet.

But it a ongoing deal to try and find an all purpose tire, and there really isnt one if you have the luxery of running two full sets of wheels do it but if you have to settle then do your research and get as many opinions as you can.

Aaron

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I've heard it several times now and I don't see how the STT looks like the MTR...

1 other thing I just thought of. Well, 2 things:
If you have alloy rims now, get alloys for your 'wheeling tires. Having to have 2 sets of lugnuts is stupid. (Don't ask how I know)

If you go bias ply for your 'wheeling tires, I would HIGHLY recommend you get 5. I had a flat once and put on one of my (radial) AT's and the truck handled VERY strange with it on the front - even a little strange with it on the back.

·
Registered
713 Posts
What kind of flat did you have that made them ride different. Remember its only flat on the bottom. Which reminded me, be cautious of the steel wheels more times than not they are not balanced well. Local shop near me had multiple sets returned because they were way out of balance.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 25 Posts