TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me out with my question or at least point me in the right direction for an answer.
I'm filling out the Residency portion of the online CHL application and am trying to make sure I get everything correct. I just got my Texas drivers license (applied last week, it came in the mail today).

My issue is that I left Alabama around the 17th of September 2013.
I landed in Austin at my moms place a day or so later (we'll call it "Zlane").
I was unemployed and little intention to stay there permanently. I was possibly going to go back to CA where my dad is. I had my mail sent to "Zlane" but bounced around to my sisters place, friends place(s), etc.
But, I still kept my AL license. I had traveled to and from CA (November 2013) as well as back to AL (Jan 2014) to look for work and gather the rest of my belongings.
In April of 2014 I got a job here in Texas and used my moms new address which we'll refer to as "gAve". I started living with her full time when I got my job. I changed my mailing addresses to "gAve" and considered this my new residence/ domicile. I had every intent to stay here.
Fast forward to last week when I finally went to DPS and became an official Trexas resident. Obviously I missed the 90 day window (April 2014-August 2014) in which I was supposed to get my Tx license. However, DPS never asked.

On to the main question:
Do I (or should I) list the "Zlane" address as a place of residence from September 2013- April 2104 even though I didn't consider it my permanent residence?
Obviously I don't need to list the random houses I stayed at during that window. If yes, then "they" will know I failed to change my AL license between September last year and now.
If I leave that out, and just list the "gAve" from April 2014, they'll see I failed to change my address before my 90 day new resident window was up.

Obviously, I don't want to lie.
I'm sure the background check will dig deep enough to see my mail forwarding request that was put in last September and is set to expire soon.
At the same time I'm lead to believe they won't really care about me missing any of the time windows for changing my AL license over.

I'm in a conundrum. What would you do? What should I do?

FYI: I've read plenty of statues saying that "I'm a Texas Resident if I receive my mail at a certain residence in Texas" but before April when I got my job I wasn't planning on staying here.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If you lived there and received mail I would list it. I don't remember as it has been about 4 or 5 years since I got my CHL, but I think you need to list all of the places you have lived during a certain time period. Like you said, the background check can find it, so why lie? If you want to be sure just call them to ask. I'd rather be safe than risk a delay in my app.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up submitting my app the other night. I listed all addresses with the correct time frames. I didn't want to hide anything and I have no reason to. I'm just not looking forward to them asking me "why didn't you change the address on your DL?" I have an honest answer for that, so we'll see how everything goes. I'll be scheduling my finger prints soon and taking my class at the end of September.
:)

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I ended up submitting my app the other night. I listed all addresses with the correct time frames. I didn't want to hide anything and I have no reason to. I'm just not looking forward to them asking me "why didn't you change the address on your DL?" I have an honest answer for that, so we'll see how everything goes. I'll be scheduling my finger prints soon and taking my class at the end of September.
:)
Good luck with all that. Seems like the process is a little faster now than back when I went through all of this. I believe the class is shorter now too, right? I went to one of the ranges here in Houston that took care of the prints, pics and all that stuff. When I left the class I had a nice little packet to send the great state of Texas. Made it much easier. I'd highly recommend that if you can find a place locally that does all of that for you.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck with all that. Seems like the process is a little faster now than back when I went through all of this. I believe the class is shorter now too, right? I went to one of the ranges here in Houston that took care of the prints, pics and all that stuff. When I left the class I had a nice little packet to send the great state of Texas. Made it much easier. I'd highly recommend that if you can find a place locally that does all of that for you.
The class is around 6 hours I believe. And one of those is range time.

Prints are electronically submitted now. So I don't believe there's an "all in one" type deal that you're speaking of.

I also think I'm going to attach a written letter with copies of mail I got at "Zlane" so that the state can be sure that I lived there (since I never changed my DL to that address). I don't need to give them a reason to delay my app.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: after submitting my application, doing the finger prints 2 months later (around 10/20/14) and completing my CHL class on 11/9 (scored 249/250 on my proficiency test!), I recieved my CHL in the mail on 11/20.

I was definitely over thinking my residency issues.

Keep calm and carry on!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Update: after submitting my application, doing the finger prints 2 months later (around 10/20/14) and completing my CHL class on 11/9 (scored 249/250 on my proficiency test!), I recieved my CHL in the mail on 11/20.

I was definitely over thinking my residency issues.

Keep calm and carry on!
not a bad time frame my wife and I submitted our docs online a day apart both license's got here exactly 27 days later .. congrats

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
they have definitely sped things up then. it took me a month or 2 after i submitted everything to get my actual license.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they have definitely sped things up then. it took me a month or 2 after i submitted everything to get my actual license.
My instructor claimed they were still hearing of a 5-6 week wait time after submission. My best conclusion for why mine came so fast was this: In the CHL laws of the state, they legally have 90 days (from initial application) to issue a license. Since I applied roughly 80 days prior to completing and submitting my proficiency test, my application must have already been approved and simply waiting on someones desk for receipt of the proficiency certificate.

I was certainly happy I got it so fast. I was seriously dreading waiting 5-6 weeks.
Since then I've been carrying my S&W 637 every day. It's very light and a breeze to carry so much so that I forget its there sometimes. Almost carried it into work once. :eek:

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
i carried before i had my license, figured it was better to spend a few days in jail fighting some BS than to spend any time in the morgue. but i mostly carry either a glock 19 or a sig p238 in the event that i cant carry a larger frame gun. hopefully this year will see the legalization of open carry and i can switch to a 1911.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i carried before i had my license, figured it was better to spend a few days in jail fighting some BS than to spend any time in the morgue. but i mostly carry either a glock 19 or a sig p238 in the event that i cant carry a larger frame gun. hopefully this year will see the legalization of open carry and i can switch to a 1911.
I've been thinking about picking up a sig p238.. small for a .380, and from what I have heard reliable.

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
I really like mine. I bought the black one but have since seen other color ones for similar and lower prices. Mcheck out palmetto state armorys website formsome good deals

1 - 12 of 12 Posts